Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 9th, 2018 03:00

Wyse T50 - Dreadful performance when playing video (RDP 2008/2012)

Good morning,

We've a few dozen Wyse T50s on the Latest (U-1.041) firmware.

If a user tries to play video - for example on youtube.com, or bbc.co.uk (or even the smooth-scrolling animated background on the "Welcome to Firefox" page the first time firefox is launched) the session becomes unresponsive and sluggish.

This will be so unresponsive that it will appear the session is not receiving user input. It is receiving input but it's delayed by 5+ seconds. Anything displayed to the user will be updating at best a few times per second.

I've tested the same functionality on a Windows PC and on a considerably older Wyse R10L

In Windows performance was fine, so we were able to establish this is not an issue with the RD session Hosts.

On the R10L while performance wasn't perfect it was only a tiny bit sluggish, playback and screen updates didn't have dropped frames and there was no delay, however the user input was delayed by a fraction of a second which is probably to be expected on a low spec machine that is essentially updating a high quality image 30+ times per second.

Given this considerably older device with half the physical RAM (but admittedly lighter local OS) had very minimal issues, I can't see why the T50 has these issues unless there's a problem with the archaic versions of Ubuntu and RD Client on the T50s.

These issues persist even if the T50 is in Low Bandwidth mode, 15 bit colour and with compression turned on. I'm not convinced the compression tickbox actually does anything. I have also tried various potential fixes such as turning all experience options off except remote FX.

Does anybody have any advice on this?

Cheers

Paddy Maxson

38 Posts

February 18th, 2018 19:00

So a couple of questions.  

Are you testing the R10L and the T50 on the same LAN under the exact same conditions?  Because I know a lack of bandwidth or latency can cause this exact same issue.

Are the R10L and T50 using the same version of OS and RDP client?  This also can make huge differences.

Let me know and we'll go from there. :)

February 19th, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Yes the T50 and R10 are sat next to each other on the same physical LAN.

They can't be on the same OS/RDClient versions because they're different operating systems. The T50 is Wyse enhanced Ubuntu (Ubuntu 10.04) and the R10L is ThinOS 8

I appreciate this means the two aren't identical and that may be the reason for the difference, but the R10L is an older and considerably lower specced machine than the T50 and both are on the newest firmware available to me.

38 Posts

March 3rd, 2018 18:00

I think it's the OS that's making the difference here.  I've noticed in just using different versions of linux live cd that there is vast differences in video support even for the same hardware.  I believe the same is happening in your case.

It might not work, but you could try swapping the doms in the two thin clients and see if the performance follows thin os.  I guess another test would be putting thin os on the T50.

March 5th, 2018 05:00

Is there any information on how to put ThinOS on a T50? I can see it has a bootloader for it in the BIOS but as far as I'm aware this isn't supported.

38 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 21:00

If there isn't a downloadable version from the support for that model, I wouldn't really know how to do it short of installing it on another system and moving the dom to the T50.

560 Posts

June 14th, 2018 11:00

The T50 was an entry level thin client designed for task workers using mostly non-graphical applications, so the performance for videos was not a consideration. This device has reached its End-op-Life, so no further enhancements are available.

No Events found!