Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P2

August 3rd, 2015 07:00

Touch Pointer Bugs and Improvement Suggestions

Lightbulb Touch Pointer Bugs and Improvement Suggestions

I believe I also added a bug for this in the Google Spreadsheet bug tracker, but wanted to echo my thoughts here too. Granted these bugs are from the beta, not the final version. Update: I tested these issues in the free version and they still exist.

I have noticed that the touch+hold gesture to initiate a drag and drop behavior is a little touchy. First of all, it jumps from its position one the cursor turns white, rather than smoothly proceeding onward from the point of contact to whatever point the user desired to love it to. I most often use it for selecting text, but it jumps around way too much at first, which makes the task difficult, and sometimes the actual selection doesn't start at the initial point of contact, but rather at the jumped-to point. Once drag+drop mode is activated, even the slightest movement of the touch pointer at that point should then be possible. Also, the screen needs to rapidly refresh during any movement of the pointer in this mode, and that hasn't always been the case for me.

I have also noticed that if I touch the pointer and immediately start moving it around, but only a couple millimeters, the pointer seems locked or stuck at its initial position and doesn't actually move, then touch pointer still turns to drag and drop mode against my wishes. I want to be able to use the touch pad in a precise manner without having to "unlock" the cursor from its position by moving the touch pointer a large distance, only to move it back to the position it started, and only then be able to move it in small increments. If there is some sort of threshold regarding how much movement of the pointer is permitted while still activating the drag+drop pointer mode, I think that threshold may be too high. But any such thresholds are just begging to be converted into customizable settings in the preferences.

Also, can you make the scrolling component of the touch pointer support horizontal scrolling as well as vertical scrolling?

August 4th, 2015 20:00

No feedback on these bugs yet?

925 Posts

August 4th, 2015 20:00

we are reviewing your feedback. will keep you posted. Thank you !

Wyse PocketCloud Team

1 Message

February 23rd, 2016 10:00

I have had a several Dell laptops with pointer sticks through the years and never a problem with the pointer stick - until I got my Dell Latitude E5550 in Oct. of 2015. Since then I have had to deal with the same issues with pointer stick as described above, and my finger keeps slipping off and hitting the surrounding keys, cause a bbbbbbbbbbbb or gggggggggggggggg or hhhhhhhhhhh. It is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING and cause me to have to go back, undo the bbbbbbbbbbbb or gggggggggggggggg or hhhhhhhhhhh and try and scroll again -  a complete waste of time. I know of a lot of other people that have the same frustration.

The problem seems to be a design issue - the plastic pointer cap is too low relative to the keys on the keyboard, and therefore one's finger does not have the height leverage to use the pointer stick to scroll far enough up/down/to the left/to the right before the finger hits one of the surrounding keys - b,g or h.

The simple solution is for Dell to provide a replacement pointer stick cap that is just a bit taller relative to the surrounding keys so that the pointer stick is not recessed relative to the surrounding keys - ideally it should be a bit higher than the surrounding keys.

It has been about six months now since this issue was first raised - see above, and so far no such solution from Dell.

This appears to be a quick, simple, inexpensive and easy solution for Dell. Why has it taken Dell so long to provide this solution to its customers?

When will Dell provide this solution to its customers, and let the Dell Tech Support people know about this solution and offer it to Dell customers when they call in with this problem?

No Events found!