Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2015 08:00

Crash on VNC Connection /w Large Screens

ExclamationCrash on VNC Connection /w Large Screens

I've got a Mac Pro running 2 30" monitors and a portrait mode 24" monitor, making my effective screen resolution rectangle for VNC 6320x1920. When I connect with my laptop's VNC client I have no issues, but when using PocketCloud on the iPad it immediately crashes on connect, dumping me back to the home screen. Please look into this issue, it's a great product, but needs to support large desktop sizes.

July 31st, 2015 08:00

Hi dpron,

We're looking into this now.
Thank you very much for letting us know this issue.

Regards,
Yu-Te

200 Posts

August 5th, 2015 06:00

Are you also running at very high resolutions? The iPad/iPhone might be running out of memory if the resolution is too high.

Wyse PocketCloud Team

3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by yutelin View Post

Hi dpron,

We're looking into this now.
Thank you very much for letting us know this issue.

Regards,
Yu-Te
Thanks! I know I'm a bit of an edge-case when it comes to resolution, so I appreciate your efforts.

1 Message

I am having the same problem with my 27" iMac. PocketCloud will connect, but often crashes immediately back to the iPhone home screen - if not immediately, it crashes once I perform any action on the iPhone screen.
Thanks

6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daniel View Post

Unfortunately there's not much we can do at this point, at 6320x1920 resolution the application seems to be running out of memory 
Since this falls in line with part of my issue as well, perhaps I can offer a suggestion. The Jaadu VNC client for the iPhone (along with the iTeleport Connect Mac app, not sure if that's a requirement) is able to load displays of this size as well as change the resolution on the fly. I'm not suggesting that you copy them, but merely that a method exists for operating under these conditions. Perhaps your developers could observe this in practice and trigger an idea for a solution. Don't mind me, just lurking 

3 Posts

Wanted to check-in on this issue. It's still happening with the latest version.

200 Posts

Unfortunately there's not much we can do at this point, at 6320x1920 resolution the application seems to be running out of memory 

Wyse PocketCloud Team

1 Message

August 11th, 2015 08:00

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been thinking about this a bit and I believe you could make it work by customizing your JPEG processing code. For example, the djpeg library (http://jpegclub.org/djpeg/) lets you scale JPEGs as you decode them, and you could also crop them, throwing away pixels that you don't need. This would make the VNC connection behave a little like Google/Bing maps, where you only hold the visible part of the display in device memory, and as you move the screen you'd load the other parts on demand. When zoomed out you'd only hold a low-resolution version of the entire desktop in device memory.

This would increase network traffic, since you'd need to reload parts of the screen when panning or zooming, but it would let you avoid crashing. With some smart file caching you could even avoid much of that extra network traffic.

544 Posts

August 11th, 2015 08:00

Thanks dpron for reporting the issue and Jarland for the suggestion. I've gone ahead and filed an issue for this into our internal bug database. Hopefully we can resolve in future versions.

Have a good weekend,

Chris
Wyse Technology

1.3K Posts

August 12th, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the input. I have forwarded this on to our engineering team.

Josh Maurer
Visit our Knowledge Base and Manuals web site at pocketcloudsupport.wyse.com

No Events found!