Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B2

June 23rd, 2015 03:00

S10

S10

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and also new to Wyse terminal clients. We've a few (winterm) S10's at the office.

If there I ask any dumb question which could be find somewhere els, then my apologize.

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to be able to change a few features.

First:
I cannot redirect my USB thumbdrive to my Windows 2008 Terminal server. Is this possible at all or is the device limited for this?

Second:
When setting up an account to log on to the terminal server I can't seem to be able to change the username/password, unless I give it reset to factory settings. Is there any other way for it?

Thanks for reading and thanks for any future reply's,
With kind regards,
Bjorn

67 Posts

The S10 is Wyse ThinOS. This is a firmware based thin client. It does not have folders and applications that can be installed. It's just the RDP client on hardware. The clients that can be re-imaged are Windows and Linux based thin clients. The S10 can't be converted to a operating system. The Wyse unit that would be imaged like the HP units would be a S90, not a S10. The S10 is hardened to be the quick and secure, unlike a open operating system.

I suspect that since they were donated, you have old firmware on the devices. I suggest getting the code updated to the latest release. This is most likely the reason your connection to the 2008 TS is not all you want it to be.
Look at this KB article in the Wyse Knowledge base "Solution 10566: Wyse ThinOS - How to Upgrade the Firmware on WTOS Clients".

I am confident once the units are up to date you will have a better experience with them.

The units do not store passwords or have local accounts. The users will login to the terminal server and that is where their password is stored. No need to manage a password on the thin client. However VNC is built into the firmware for remote support. If you can access the device's IP address, you can use a VNC viewer to remote control the device over the VPN.

Lastly WTOS cannot have a VPN client installed, so you must have a hardware VPN client at the user site.

Hello,

First off thanks for you reply.

I will describe a little more to make it more clear. These terminal clients will serve as computer for the home or roofless. This is also why I need USB sticks to work so they can safe their own data and also transport it.

With point 2 I ment I cannot change the login info on the terminal client for the RDP session.

For configuring the units I'm currently just loggin on the terminal itself. Since the terminals will be placed on a remote location I won't be able to configure from a distance nor configuring them with the use of a server.

We'll be using a cisco router to create a vpn to our datacentre. All our servers run in this datacentre. So basicly all this terminal client has to do is connect to the Terminal Server and use the usb flashdrive as personal storage.

On a 3th note: The terminal clients were donated by an other company and we lack the documentation or anything. Is it also possible to reimage these terminal clients (like the terminal clients from HP)?

67 Posts

On the 2008 server, be sure you have installed the Desktop Experience feature. When setting up the connection on the S10 make sure to select "Disks" and "unmap USB". This will allow USB drives to map into the user session.
I don't understand what you are saying when you can't change the username and password. From the server? or when you specify it on the RDP connection? Are you using the wnos.ini to configure the unit?

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 07:00

I really like your way of expressing the opinion and sharing the information.

riya

1 Message

September 19th, 2018 04:00

pls how do i get the compatible firmware for wyse s10 product, the one i got complains of xml file not present in the image folder

pls help me

3 Apprentice

• 

710 Posts

September 20th, 2018 16:00

The S10 went end of life in 2008.  Firmware is no longer available for it.

No Events found!