Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2015 05:00

Slow performance when many clients logged on, WSM 6.0 x64

Slow performance when many clients logged on, WSM 6.0 x64

Hi

When a few users logs on, its fast and nice.

however, when many logs on, it slows everything down.

The Linked-site server have in total 16 core, 24GB RAM and 8x 300GB 10k disks in RAID10.

I see the server gets rather low load, it got 4x 1gbps in lacp team to a gig switch, then all edge switches have 1gig uplink.

The server never use more than around 10GB RAM, could this be the issue, and how to get the server to use more RAM ?

Total cpu load stay around 1-2%, network , peaks at around 1500Mbps

There are only one 25GB os image file, and it slows down when around 30-40 users logs on.

Do MaxSystemCacheMBytes affect this? If I lower it to for example 1% or 200MB, would it be "forced" to spend more RAM ?

63 Posts

Screendump of a x64 linked-site server

63 Posts

The server is the same. Only change is from x64 image to x86 image, that gave a huge difference. And the only one issue I saw was the defunct WSM Client service, while the service works at the x86 version.

And, I tested with WoL, starting up 20 clients at once, with x64 image, that caused OS Streaming Service at server to fail, and auto-restarts after 5 seconds (5000 miliseconds). And about 90% of the clients hungs on the windows startup logo screen. It boots to desktop only if I boot two and two clients at once. And the performance are very very BAD, lots of hung-ups, loooooooong logon time, slow IE browsing, startup Word +++.

All of the problems are eliminated when I rolled out x86 image. I WoL'd 100 clients at once, everyone booted nicely, no hiccups, OS Streaming Service didnt stop, etc.

And users reports back that they have never experienced such FAST computers at the last 2 years when they got those Wyse clients.

63 Posts

No upgrade. I installed WSM6 x64 straight on HV server, and shutted down VM's that ran x86 WSM.

Hard to say whether WSM6 gave better user experience than WSM5.0.1 directly, or as a result of running WSM straight on server instead of VM's.

200 Posts

So WSM 6.0 with Win7 32-bit provides better end user experience as WSM 5.0.1, correct?
Have you just upgraded from WSM 5 to 6 or did you uninstall Version 5 before you installed WSM 6?

63 Posts

Confirmed that it's a bug in x64 version of WSM Client. The service won't start, both with NIC driver from Wyse, and the latest from Realtek.

Two .sys files failed to load because Windows 7 x64 blocked them due to incompatibilty, and I guess that cause WSM Client Service to be unable to run.

63 Posts

... only HQ server got upgraded from WSM5.0.1 till WSM6, and now it's the only WSM server thats running in x86 here, + the OS images for clients.

200 Posts

Hello eirirs,

this is no bug but already listed as a known Issue in the Product Release Notes of WSM 6.0.0: "Application Virtualization is only supported on 32-bit Desktop Operating systems and not supported on 64-bit Streamed Operating systems (Desktop and Server OS)."

The WSM Client service is used for Application Virtualization only, and because it will not start on x64 bit OS's you can set its Automatic Startup Type to Manual or Disabled. In addition the Automatic startup of Application Streaming in the WSM Client Post Config utility should be disabled too.

Is this a new server or is the same hardware performing with an exisiting 32-bit OS Image you have used before?

200 Posts

June 15th, 2015 09:00

So you are still using the same Server HW/SW and the same OS Image and WSM 6 32-bit "And users reports back that they have never experienced such FAST computers at the last 2 years when they got those Wyse clients."
I like 

63 Posts

June 15th, 2015 09:00

I think you are misunderstanding

The server acted as hypervisor for 4 virtual WSM servers (1x linked, 3x edge), which I shutted down now, and instead installed brand new WSM Linked-Site server x64 straight on the hypervisor
And I made a brand new OS-image with x86 windows 7 and x86 WSM 6 Client.

That way I reduced from 35 server to 7, by removing all virtual servers.

No Events found!