Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

60 Posts

July 4th, 2020 11:00

Can I replace 8920 motherboard with non-Dell motherboard?

I have had my XPS 8920 for a few years, but the USB ports have slowly started dying, and now I am getting random hardware errors.  I suspect the motherboard is failing.  I don't want to replace with another Dell motherboard because I can only find "refurb" ones on sale on eBay, and they run about $400+.  I am also losing faith in Dell mobos because I had a previous desktop that also had buggy USB ports after about a year or so of normal usage (no high power draw units plugged in, etc.)

I want to know if I can simply find another mini-ATX LGA1151 Motherboard and swap it out, otherwise keeping all the Dell parts (CPU, memory, Radeon Vid card, etc.)?  If so, what model would work?

If so, will I need additional parts, like a PSU (because of OEM plugs?) or cables (OEM USB headers for front panel), etc?

TIA

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 4th, 2020 11:00

@PixelFreak    I don't want to replace with another Dell motherboard because I can only find "refurb" ones on sale on eBay, and they run about $400+. 

One of the worst aspects of the XPS 8920 is the poor case design. Cases are not that expensive. Find a case/motherboard combination that you like and move your CPU, graphics card, and (maybe) RAM into it. You will have so many more options available if you do not lock yourself into the Dell nano-case.

No Events found!