Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

December 13th, 2018 13:00

Dell Support Assistant

Dell Support Assistant disappeared from my PC.

I'm trying to reinstall it. It installs and runs one time then disappears again.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

December 13th, 2018 14:00

It would appear you are doing nothing wrong. A number of users are having the same problem. And the fact that it disappears leads me to believe that an update is uninstalling SA.

https://www.dell.com/community/SupportAssist/SupportAssist-missing-and-cannot-reinstall/td-p/6191579

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 13th, 2018 16:00

IMHO, you're better off without SupportAssist. 

It's an annoying nag that sometimes offers the wrong updates and seems to contribute to BIOS update failures (which will brick the motherboard)...

1 Message

September 27th, 2019 06:00

I have the same problem with support assist in that it won't install the bios upgrade. when I try looking for support I get messages to renew my support plan. So then did Dell won't update my bios unless I renew a service plan? I have three Dells ( 2 desktops, 1 laptop). This probably will be my last Dell product. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 27th, 2019 12:00

@sylerma wrote:

I have the same problem with support assist in that it won't install the bios upgrade. when I try looking for support I get messages to renew my support plan. So then did Dell won't update my bios unless I renew a service plan? I have three Dells ( 2 desktops, 1 laptop). This probably will be my last Dell product. 

Always include the PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

You can update BIOS and drivers for free from Dell's support site regardless of your warranty or service plan status.

Get rid of SupportAssist.

You can update BIOS either inside or outside Windows. Go to the support page for your PC model and select the version of Windows from the dropdown menu.

Inside Windows:

1. Download the BIOS update onto your desktop
  2. Close all open apps and all open windows
  3. Disable your anti-viral app (eg McAfee, Norton...)
  4. Right-click the downloaded BIOS .exe file and "Run as administrator"
  5. Do not turn the PC off or interrupt the BIOS update
  6. PC should reboot automatically when the update is done
  7. Make sure your antiviral app is re-enabled and running

Outside Windows:

1. Download the BIOS .exe file
  2. Create a bootable USB stick using something like Rufus (free)
  3. Copy the BIOS file onto the USB stick
  4. Power off and connect that USB stick to a USB2 port
  5. Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to boot from USB
  6. When you get to the "DOS prompt", type in the exact name of the BIOS file on the USB stick and press Enter.
  7. Wait until the update is done and then reboot normally

No Events found!