Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2018 14:00

XPS 8930, internal Blu-Ray burner

I just spent two hours trying to get a simple answer out of Dell Support.

I bought an XPS 8930 and discovered it uses some thin form factor optical drive that I've not seen before (laptop maybe). I had planned to swap in my blu-ray burner in, but obviously that won't fit. So...

I wanted to order an internal blu-ray burner to replace it. Or get some guidance on what third-party blu-ray burner would fit this sized slot.

On the third call attempt to support, I was again routed to sales, who again routed me to parts, who actually finally answered this time.

They said they don't know or sell what fits, and suggested I ask Best Buy for help.

Before I do that, does anyone here know?

140 Posts

February 9th, 2018 16:00

Mine shipped with this one: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N.  It appears to be made by an LG/Hitachi alliance.  The retail version seems to be:  LG Ultra Slim Bd DVDRW 6X SATA 9.5mm Tray Retail Optical Drive BU40N

When you install it you will want to swap out the plastic faceplate that shipped with your 8930 on it's current drive.  It's plastic and will break if you're not careful.

6 Posts

February 9th, 2018 15:00

Standard laptop drive was my guess. And also exactly what Dell Support said it wasn't.

2.3K Posts

February 9th, 2018 15:00

It uses a standard slimline laptop drive, so you shouldn't have any issues getting it swapped with a BluRay version if you wanted.

2 Posts

April 17th, 2019 11:00

Can you show a picture how the plastic faceplate is taken out of the front Bevel ?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 17th, 2019 12:00

@Simon333 wrote:
Can you show a picture how the plastic faceplate is taken out of the front Bevel ?

The optical drive slides out from the front of the PC, not from inside the case, with the bezel attached. Read the Service Manual for instructions to remove the current optical drive and then how to remove the bezel from that drive on page 32-33.

No Events found!