Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

38 Posts

January 17th, 2023 00:00

New XPS 8950, noise

I had my new XPS 8950 12th Gen i9-12900K delivered yesterday and after one day of running moving stuff from my old Dell Aurora R5, the constant humming was starting to drive me crazy.

I have looked to see where noise is from and it is either the cooling pump or psu fans, it doesn't change note no matter what I am doing.

My old R5 is quieter, the reason I upgraded to the XPS was because my R5 every now and again the fans would go ballistic like a jet taking off just when I woke machine from standby.

I am so disappointed with this that I am thinking of returning it as it shouldn't be like this, my problem then is what do I buy instead, I have had Dell Desktops and laptops for years without problems.

Have I over specified it for normal admin work plus the odd game, would lower spec be quieter?

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

January 17th, 2023 09:00

I would say it is the cooling pump, but others have complained about the PSU fans. I replaced the AIO and mine got a bit quieter. An aftermarket tower cooler will be quieter at idle but louder under load.

38 Posts

January 17th, 2023 09:00

Yes I have read where others have changed cooler, didn't really expect to do that on a new PC. I have decided to keep and not return it after another day moving stuff across from old PC, what a bad job that is.

Maybe I will consider replacing cooler at a later date if it really annoys me.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

January 17th, 2023 11:00

Other that being a bit noisy at idle, the stock AIO actually works pretty well for a 120mm unit. The plus side is that under load it doesn't sound like a jet getting ready to take off. I replaced the AIO on mine with an aftermarket AIO and the temps are better but not drastically and it is quieter, but not silent. Honestly, if I were to go back and do it again, I would just leave it alone. Truth be told I was irritated and still am annoyed by the marketing claims that the PC is pretty much silent. I do not know if the product description still says that, but if it does, that claim needs to be removed.

No Events found!