Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2022 19:00

No POST after failed System Restore

Hi, just hoping for some suggestions as my tech skills are average. 

I did a System Restore yesterday after my browsers both had issues after the latest Win 10 update.   I suspect the windows update also included a BIOS update but can't be sure. However before the system restore had completed, the computer shutdown while power remained to fans an HD.  I left it for about 12 hours in case it was still processing, but  since then any attempt to reboot it results in power to fans, hard drive and lights but no POST, no beeps, literally nothing on the monitor.  I'm unable to access the bios etc. 

Any ideas as to what the issue is or what i should try would be much appreciated.  Also happy to provide further info if needed.

System:  XPS 8930

6GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz UDIM M Non-ECC
M.2 512GB PCIe x4 SSD + 2TB 72 00 rpm Hard Drive
NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 2060 6GB GDDR6
9th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 9 700 (8-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Bo ost Technology)
PS 8930, Mainstream Chassis ( 460W)

January 14th, 2022 19:00

Thank you for your suggestion to help.  This is much appreciated.  I have just discovered the issue and it was firstly a corrupt system restore which prevented the computer from booting.  But then i found i couldn't get into the bios or use F8 or safe mode or system recovery tools because on the XPS apparently in order to see the bios etc the video cable has to be plugged into the video card, and mine was plugged into the computer Display Port socket.  Once i changed this, i was able to access the system recovery options by pressing F8 and the problem was solved.    But thank you, it's good to know there is a BIOS recovery option if needed.

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

January 13th, 2022 23:00

try Dell bios recovery

your pc model supports both bios recovery 2 and 3.

How do I initiate BIOS Recovery on a Dell desktop or all-in-one computer?

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.
  3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key to save the current BIOS settings.
  4. Select Recover BIOS and press the Enter key to start the recovery process.
    NOTE : Your Dell computer may restart a few times during the process of BIOS recovery.

Any Dell computer that is shipped after December 2015 that has the Intel SkyLake chipset, supports BIOS Recovery 2.

Any Dell computer that is shipped after August 2016 or with the Intel Kaby Lake chipset, supports BIOS Recovery 3.
No Events found!