Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 11th, 2018 05:00

Studio XPS 435MT, wont power on

I have a Dell Studio XPS that i have had for over 8 years and i have taken great care of this platform. I left for work travel last week and powered it off and when i came home and it wouldn't power on. The PSU in the back has a green light, the MOBO has a orange/amber light. When i press the power button nothing happens. This has happened before and i just disconnected all power connections on the back and then plugged back in and it turned on. Could this be a bad power button/wire or PSU?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 11th, 2018 07:00

I don't know if the lights indicate a good power supply.  Reseat the 24 pin power plug from the power supply to the motherboard and the front panel connector (reseat - unplug then plug back in).  If that doesn't help, given the age of the PC, I would suspect a defective power supply.  Sadly, the only real way to test the power supply is to use a known good power supply.

May 11th, 2018 07:00

If it is the PSU what would be a good PSU to replace it with?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2018 11:00

Since you left it off for a while, I suspect the motherboard battery may have died and BIOS settings got scrambled.

So before you buy anything else, you might want to invest ~$2 in a new CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery. Check the Service Manual for instructions to replace that battery and see if that fixes the problem...

May 12th, 2018 05:00

currently the PSU in it is a DPS-360FB-1A which is 350w max.

May 12th, 2018 06:00

what would you recommend for a fully modular PSU to replace my old one

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 12th, 2018 06:00

Yes that would work. However, I recommend a "fully modular" power supply as that eliminates stuffing unused power leads inside the case. 

Most Dell PC's may require some metal cutting to allow for the power switch that is not on Dell power supplies.  Almost all (all that I've seen) standard ATX power supplies have a power switch.  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 12th, 2018 07:00

Here is a fully modular, $20 more than the one you linked.

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-120-G1-0650-XR/dp/B00K85X2AW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1526134301&sr=1-4&keywords=fully+modular+power+supply

Its not certain that the power supply is what is bad, but suspected.  Amazon has a liberal return policy so that would be my choice to buy.  If its not the power supply you should be able to easily return it. 

Considering the age of the PC, if its not the power supply I would seriously consider a new PC.  More than the cost of the power supply isn't really worth it.  You spend the $$ and you still have an old PC.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 13th, 2018 14:00

Did you try replacing the motherboard battery as I already suggested before buying a new PSU?

No Events found!