Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2019 06:00

Studio XPS 7100, suddenly slow

Hi im new here, hopefully someone can help  me. Off the top of my head im sure the specs but i have an xps 7100, was working fine but havent used in while or very often. Was using few days, had in sleep mode over nights wake up to orange flashing and beeps on 3rd day wouldnt start at all, so i took apart and blew it out with low pressure with air compressor( was super dusty), now running extremely slow. Sorry long story:(

2.5K Posts

November 19th, 2019 08:00

no OS stated, w10? 32bit, (AMD RS785 + SB710),  can run 32bit if stepping newest) AMD older is no good.

is this HDD or SSD based boot PC? , best is SSD< first. and fresh w10.

what is slow PC do 10,000 things, please name 2 things

one thing,  that is not slow, can you name one thing here (like clicking on control panel.

then one thing that is slowest (not the internet) just the PC only,  like office apps slow, or even notpad

or a game slow only (name the game please)

then if only the internet is slow , say that. (and if only one web site, then tell that place) URL

10,000 things to do, some slow or 1 or all?

keep in mind all HDD go slow and slower as they age, then die. (when smart first starts failing slow happens)

run he ePSA tests?

if you booted to a linux USB demo stick is it slow<>  hummmmmmmmmmmm

the PC is 9 years old , the RTC coin cell is now EOL end of life,  when it goes dead so be the PC, so that is first

proactive stance.

slow PCs are:
1: HDD BAD (not dead just bad and slow as all do near death)

2: HDD corrupted (aka, OS corruption)

3: ram stick fell out and have only 1GB of ram

4: CPU overheated (run CPUz)

5: GPU overheated if card present, can't see your PC insides, here.

and more Im sure. (PC are simple until the break)

3 Posts

Is running no orange light now after taking apart and cleaning dust out, but now drastically slow

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Orange flashing power button = failed power supply.

XPS 7100 Power Supply PSU 460W ACBEL PC9004 7YC7C

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Systems-Compatible-Numbers/dp/B009F09ASY

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 19th, 2019 09:00

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

How many beeps was it giving?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run diagnostics and run all of them. This can take a while so be patient.

How much memory is physically installed and how much is Windows actually seeing/using? Run msinfo32.exe from Start>Run to see the info.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2019 09:00

Ram was loose, good now, thank you

No Events found!