Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

May 11th, 2020 11:00

Where can the tower be located?

Hi

Im not good with all this but can a tower be located on a carpeted floor?

358 Posts

May 11th, 2020 11:00

@BillBark 

Wouldn't recommend locating it directly on a Floor (carpeted or not) - since it would be prone to taking in a lot of dust!

If you can't locate it onto a Desk or Shelf, consider locating it on top of a Box/Crate!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 11th, 2020 13:00

For a second opinion, I've had PCs directly on carpeted floors for eons without any problems. Just clean out the PC's air vents with canned air every once/while...

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

May 11th, 2020 15:00

Carpet floor is not good for front air intake if pc is positioned there. It is recommended by gaming pc experts on internet not to do it if you want good air cooling inside.  Remember pc needs to have fresh cold air intake and hot air exhaust at back.  From fluid dynamics physics point of view, air flow gets significantly impeded close to high viscosity floor level.   Front intake of cold air is often at the bottom grill of pc front bezel thus more heavily affected by carpet.  Of course lots of people including senior gurus disregard this advice and leave their pc on carpet all the time.  I have seen a senior hacker do so much custom heat pad mod and liquid cooling in his gaming pc running two titans. Yet I thought why he did not bother wonder about the carpet floor deficiency.

258 Posts

May 11th, 2020 17:00

@BillBark 

Im not good with all this but can a tower be located on a carpeted floor?

Yes.  Make sure you don't impeded airflow through its various grills including along the front bottom.  It will likely encounter more dust at floor level and require more frequent inspection and blowing out of accumulated dust to keep the air flowing and component surfaces cooling.  The floor location may also challenge cable lengths and your access to the computer ports and controls.

It may sit more stable on a solid footprint like a sheet of whatever.  Or consider elevating it some on a stand or crate to bring it closer to you and your desktop.

The XPS 8930 mini-Tower is not too bad sitting on a desk.

OE

No Events found!