Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2018 06:00

XPS 2720, Kingston SSDNow UV400, upgrade

Dear All,

I have purchased Kingston SSDNow UV400 upgrade kit; migrated successfully the HDD content from my XPS-2720 to the external SSD via USB and Acronis software; removed the HDD and installed the SSD. Everything smooth and working. But, after some days when I turn on the PC, I have a blue screen. I tried every fixing suggestion for my Windows 10, but nothing changed. Still freezes on blue screen. I have also taken to a tech shop for fixing but they could not solve. They have tried different setups and on software side everything seems fine. In their opinion, is like if the pc has problem to communicate with the SSD. I have a testings report but is very technical and in Italian. Eventually, I can forward if helpful. Can you help me to understand if the XPS-2720 is compatible? I am also in contact with Kingston.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2018 20:00

In the past couple of years, I have installed 4 Kingston SSDs in Dell Latitude laptops. They work fine .

IIRC, two uv400 and recently two a400 . I've also got some older v300's in various machines and they still work fine. I even have one in my Mac-Mini. I've found Kingston SSDs to be VERY compatible and reliable.

I only buy Kingston, Samsung, and the occasional Intel SSD.

IIRC, it's not easy getting into the AiO ... maybe something got damaged?

September 24th, 2018 01:00

I personally doubt any physical or electrical damage due to my working environment but  anyway testing the change of motherboard would be too expensive in terms of manhours. 

Now i changed back to hdd and is working fine so it means the issue is related to the ssd. Can be the ssd hardware itself or can be the suggested migration software acronis that created a corrupted the copy on the ssd. "A friend of mine" told me this software is not so good as samsung one and can be a possible root cause but i do not have a technical proove.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 24th, 2018 10:00

@matteoveronese wrote:

1. Now i changed back to hdd and is working fine so it means the issue is related to the ssd.

2. Can be the ssd hardware itself or can be the suggested migration software acronis that created a corrupted the copy on the ssd.

3. "A friend of mine" told me this software is not so good as samsung one and can be a possible root cause but i do not have a technical proove.

1. Good. Yes, that is basic troubleshooting (undo the thing you just did that broke it).

2. Yes. Cloning doesn't always work and can be tricky.

3. Yes, sometimes the "cloning software" is to blame. Sometimes it's just "operator error". I like to use Macrium Reflect (it's free). Create an Image File (with Verify on) and then restore it.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

No Events found!