Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 22nd, 2018 14:00

XPS 2720, lost touch screen and keyboard and mouse not working

I've had this pc since 2013. My children bought me a KM717 combo at xmas. Worked fine until 21/02/2018. Left the pic for a couple hours, when I went back the touch screen had stopped working and the km717 combo would not respond, and after several more attempts still do not respond. However, after reconnecting my km714 that keyboard works ok, but the mouse is ded. I have tried using different USB ports, but to no avail. According to my update history there have been no updates since early February. Not being able to use the touch screen is a bit of an issue as I use Supernove for speech and magnification, and I control this mainly with gestures.

I am confused with all of this especially as the km714 keyboard responds.  Nearly forgot, I am running Windows 10, version 1709. I will be grateful for any suggestions and simple solutions.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2018 15:00

* Turn the XPS One 2720 off
* Remove the KM717 wireless transmitter, keyboard, and mouse from the XPS One 2720
* Disconnect EVERYTHING (including the power cable) from the rear and side of the XPS One 2720
* Press and hold in the XPS One 2720 power button for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the following to the XPS One 2720 =
- Wired USB mouse to a top rear USB port
- Wired USB keyboard to a top rear USB port
- Power cable to the rear power connector
* Press the XPS One 2720 power button. Do the wired USB mouse and keyboard work? Does Touch work?

2 Posts

February 25th, 2018 03:00

Hi Chris,

Tanks for this procedure, had a problem sourcubg a wired keyboard. Not many of my friends have one. Unfortunately, I had no success with the procedure, at the end no touch, keyboard or mouse.   However I continued by connecting my km717 which had exactly the same results. I then connected my km714 and immediately the pc responded to the keyboard, but still no mouse or touch. This still confuses me somewhat.   So, at the moment I do have a pc that I can use, even if it is more cumbersome without the touchscreen and mouse.

Back in 204 I had power problems relating to the USB ports, which were resolved by engineer visits.  Do you think these might be returning? 

3 Posts

February 25th, 2018 04:00

Hi,

I just posted a problem that looks related:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/Lost-any-mouse-and-touch-screen-XPS2720-coincidentally-after/td-p/5975157

I cannot use any mouse while the key board is working. Touch screen also not working.

I assume it is related to an update of DELL Support AssistantAgent which happened on the same day as my problems started (yesterday). Maybe you received the same update earlier than me.

You can check the list of updates under WINDOWS+"I" --> update --> uninstall updates.

If these are the same problems, hope that helps to solve both our problems.

Regards, Andre

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 25th, 2018 05:00

This is not a hardware issue. Even if it was, we could not send out parts for an out of warranty computer.

Windows update KB4074588 is causing the USB ports to not work. Dell and Microsoft are working on having KB4074588 pulled from Windows Updates. This issue is happening on any computer installed with Windows 10 1709 and is not limited to Dell computers.

You have three options that to correct the behavior IF you can get wireless keyboard and mouse to work:
* System Restore to a date prior to the Windows update KB4074588
* Manual update removal from command prompt
* Windows Refresh / OSRI

Boot the system to the WRI (Windows Recovery Environment)
* Power the system off (verify the power LED is off and not pulsing/flashing)
* Power the system back on and push and hold the F8 key after the power LED turns on
* Hold the F8 key until you see the message “booting to one time start menu”. At this point release the F8 key
Try to restore the system
* Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Option -> System Restore
* Select a Restore Point before 2/13/2018 (if System Restore is turned off, or no restore point available continue with the manual removal)
* Start the system restore

3 Posts

February 27th, 2018 11:00

Chris,  I’m having the same issue with my XPS-8600.  Tried holding down the F8 key during startup a occupied of times, but it went to my Windows desktop each time.  Is there any other way to get to the diagnostics.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 27th, 2018 12:00

There is no such model, XPS 8600. I see an Inspiron 8600C? Anyway, restart, press F12. The one time boot menu might have Diagnostics.

March 8th, 2018 21:00

Hello Chris,

Inspiron 3847 here,  I see "now" MS came out with an update (see below*) but here is my dilemma (setting aside all the...refresh safe mode  etc... failures including the manual removal method... (error: to find a version for your PC, check with your software publisher..  I then downloaded the MSU and in admin command prompt, I get the same error when trying the wusa.exe and or the pkgmgr.exe** (commands.....   I really do not want to use a usb stick to get my stuff off the drive and to a full blown factory reset...

any ideas?

*https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4090913/march5-2018kb4090913osbuild16299-251

**after using the expand and pkg...command nothing registers as being done

2 Posts

April 1st, 2018 11:00

Same issue- if the PC doesn't recognize the keyboard/mouse(Completely inoperative) how can you get to the boot menu??

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 1st, 2018 14:00

@jfc39wrote:

1. I've had this pc since 2013. My children bought me a KM717 combo at xmas. Worked fine until 21/02/2018. and the km717 combo would not respond, and after several more attempts still do not respond. However, after reconnecting my km714 that keyboard works ok, but the mouse is ded.

2. Left the pic for a couple hours, when I went back the touch screen had stopped working  I have tried using different USB ports, but to no avail. According to my update history there have been no updates since early February. Not being able to use the touch screen is a bit of an issue as I use Supernove for speech and magnification, and I control this mainly with gestures.

1. It's my experience and observation that these Dell KM6xx and KM7xx sets are fixed on several different radio frequencies. There is no "pairing" and it's a "matched set" of three pieces (including the tiny USB dongle). Don't swap parts between sets.

2. I have limited experience with these Dell Touch screens on (mostly slightly older) Dell All-in-Ones. The "drivers" are a bit of a mystery to me. It would be nice if you could test the Touch-Screen hardware (outside of Windows) with ePSA ... like you can with all the other Dell hardware in the machine.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 1st, 2018 17:00

Assuming this issue was caused by the malfunctioning Windows Update KB4074588, and not an actual hardware failure, read and follow this from Microsoft:  Method 2: Restoring your system without a working input device or a network connection

I believe that touchscreens are actually running as USB devices, so it might not be surprising that you could have lost mouse, keyboard and touchscreen all because MacroStupid messed, again...

2 Posts

April 1st, 2018 22:00

What about restoring Windows 7 Pro without a working input device?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 11:00

@Bml104wrote:
What about restoring Windows 7 Pro without a working input device?

I'm totally confused. Are you saying you're running Win 7 Pro now and have this USB problem, or you have Win 10 now with the USB problem and want to revert to Win 7? Dell doesn't offer Win 7 drivers for the XPS 2720.

AFAIK, that recent defective Microsoft update KB4074588 which caused USB issues only affects Win 10. So if you have Win 7, your problem may be elsewhere.  

BTW:  Did any of you in this thread install the A14 BIOS update (23 Feb 2018) on this model and then got this problem?

No Events found!