Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

March 9th, 2019 16:00

XPS 8300, storm, not turning on

Earlier today I had turned on my computer before I had eaten lunch and I had left it running so that everything would be loaded when I get back to it. It had been storming the whole time it was away and when I got back to it the monitor screen was black and all of my peripherals were turned off too. I thought it maybe had been in sleep mode so I click my mouse to wake it up but nothing happened. Then I notice that the fans aren't spinning and the power button is not illuminated. So I press the power button and nothing happens, then checked the green light on the back ant it wasn't on either. So I go online and look for ways to fix it and I've tried everything I found and nothing worked.

I need help.

I think it might be the power supply but I'm not for sure.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

March 11th, 2019 14:00

You could try all the things on page 33 of the setup guide, but if the power supply light on the back of the computer is off it is likely the problem is the power supply or power cable. The setup guide is here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8300_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 11th, 2019 17:00

...And if you're using a power strip or surge protector, remove those and connect PC directly to a known-working outlet.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2019 19:00

I've already tried everything on page 33 and I've already tried connecting the computer to the wall outlet. Vic384, you mentioned that the power cord could be the problem so i got my multimeter and tested the power cord. My outlets put out 120v AC and i got the same reading from the power cord. Then i tested the power strip and i got the same reading.

I guess i found my problem

thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 12th, 2019 10:00

Check with your power company asap. Some of them have insurance if a surge or outage damaged appliances or electronics. Worst they can say is "no"...

No Events found!