Highlighted
LoopyL
1 Copper

XPS 8500, Start up issue

My PC operates normally once I have got it going, but it will not start up unless I reset the bios, I basically leave the cover off and then every time I want to use it I disconnect the power and discharge the residual power and remove the bios battery, its a bit annoying, has anyone got any ideas to fix? Is it the motherboard? There is no response at all when I press the power button, not even a beep code. Once i have got it going i have to resync the date/ time as they are set to the last time I used the PC. I have obviously tried replacing the bios battery a couple of times, to no avail. I also tried disconnecting all extra stuff inside one at a time in case something had a fault that was causing issue, but nothing identified. If a perform a restart the boot up is fine. I checked the bios software is on most recent version. Is it worth spending on a motherboard for 8 year old PC?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Re: Start up issue XPS 8500

@LoopyL wrote:

1. I have obviously tried replacing the bios battery a couple of times, to no avail.

2. Is it worth spending on a motherboard for 8 year old PC?

1. Good troubleshooting.

2. Sounds like a bad-motherboard, so no ... not really.
You got your money's worth out-of-it by now.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

@LoopyL What operating system are you running? Does clearing the CMOS (page 129 of the Owner's manual here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8500_owner%27s...) also work instead of removing the CMOS battery?

0 Kudos
LoopyL
1 Copper

Windows 8.1

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Power supply...?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
LoopyL
1 Copper

Windows 8.1

yes the other reset has exactly the same result.

forgot to mention that when power button is pressed after the reset the PC initially seems to be starting up and the fan comes on, then everything stops again after 3 secs, then when i press power button a 2nd time the start up is successful.

thanks

0 Kudos
LoopyL
1 Copper

I’d have to buy another one of those too, so it’s probably not worth it, especially as I don’t know for sure.

thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Beryllium

Re: XPS 8500, Start up issue

"... then when i press power button a 2nd time the start up is successful." Try disabling Fast Startup. Not sure where it is in Windows 8.1 but in Windows 10 go to All settings | System | Power & sleep | click on "Additional power settings" (on the right) | in the Power Options windows that opens, click on "Choose what the power buttons do" | the uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" below "Shutdown settings". Now do a full shutdown and hopefully when you power on again fast startup will be disabled.

0 Kudos
7 Thorium

Re: XPS 8500, Start up issue

The XPS 8500 has a history of the power button failing. Some users found that carefully spraying the mechanics of that button with some electronic contact cleaner solves the problem. Be sure to power off, unplug and press/hold the power button for ~15 sec before using the spray, and clean up any excess so it doesn't drip.

Others simply purchased and installed a replacement power button module.

Here's another thought.... Connect the PC to a power strip with its own power switch. After you shut down normally in Windows, turn the strip off. To boot up, turn the strip on and press the power button. 

If that works, reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the AC Recovery options. Set the option to reboot after recovering from a power failure. Save the change and exit BIOS.

The next time you turn the power strip on, the PC should boot automatically without you having to press its power button. Not a fix, but a handy workaround, assuming it works...

EDIT: Are you sure those "new" CMOS batteries are any good, and installed + side up? You might try gently wiping the battery socket with a soft microfiber cloth, and wipe the battery with the cloth to remove fingerprints and hold it by the edges. When reinstalled, make sure the "lock" springs back against the edge of the battery.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos