Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

January 12th, 2020 22:00

XPS 8500, Windows 10, DW1703 WiFi issues

Hello, I am experiencing endless issues with my network adapter. I just installed Windows 10 on a Dell XPX 8500 and it is consistently having issues with the WiFi adapter. I have followed multiple forms and also tried installing, updating and reinstalling the adapter. None of the techniques work and I am constantly having issues such as Connected secured but no internet, or the network adapter just refuses to work at all. People said that you need to uninstall the Microsoft driver and install the Dell's driver but that only works with connecting Bluetooth because that is the only effect I can see. I have a Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz). I also sometimes get errors in Device manager "This device could not start correctly (Code 10). Help if you can please!

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

January 13th, 2020 03:00

Have you ran diagnostics yet as it could very well be that the card is having problems? F12 at the Dell splash screen and choose diagnostics. Watch for any errors with the card. And more information on code 10 errors. And though Windows 10 probably already tried one of these drivers, you can go to the MS Update Catalogue at this site and download the newest available Windows 10 driver. Make sure to click on the tab last updated for the newest drivers to be listed first.

And if none of this works then you could also consider a PCIe Wifi adapter (or USB if you prefer) such as these.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 13th, 2020 03:00

Which WiFi driver are you installing? Apparently there are two Windows 7 drivers and one Windows 8.1 driver. I would load the Windows 8.1 driver.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 13th, 2020 07:00

Easiest fix is to use a USB 802.11AC WiFi adapter and physically remove the internal WiFi card. With Windows 8 or 10 you just plug this in and it works.

Edimax EW-7811UAC

Capture.JPG

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 13th, 2020 12:00

Have you tried changing the Win 10 Power settings?

Open Device Manager and find the entry for your WiFi card. Double-click it and then click the Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off..."

Exit Device Manager and open the Windows Power & Sleep screen. Click Additional Power Settings. On next screen, ID the active plan and click Change Plan Settings. On next screen click, Change Advanced Power Settings.

On that last screen, change WiFi Adapter Settings to Max Performance. And also disable Hibernation, Hybrid Sleep, USB Selective Suspend, and PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 13th, 2020 18:00

@KevGo wrote:

Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8500 and it is consistently having issues with the WiFi adapter. 

Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz).

I also sometimes get errors in Device manager 

Read PDF Service-Manual.

Shut-Down, un-plug, release flea-power from machine.

Remove and Re-Seat WiFi/Bluetooth mini-card.

Clean-install proper drivers (the ones that Windows-10 tosses you should be fine).

If that doesn't work, replace card (they are inexpensive). Mini-card must be the same or similar so that (internal) matched antennas work optimally.

Finally, this is a desktop ... so you really should be using a real ethernet wire anyway (not WiFi).

2 Posts

May 1st, 2020 14:00

I am sorry for this very late response, I have tried finding one for windows 8.1 but results were the same... do you happen to have it linked?

No Events found!