Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 21st, 2020 11:00

XPS 8500, chassis fan replacement?

I would like to replace my chassis fan or, at least have one on hand before the original one fails. I tried a bgears replacement but I got the fan failure message on bootup and the fan would not stay running beyond post. It is a 3 pin plug that goes to the mobo which the replacement was. Dell only seems to have 120mm fans available. I need a 90/92mm. Cannot find a Dell compatible anywhere.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 10:00

to be safe try a Dell OEM fan or similar Foxconn fan like that from HP.  You do not really need a fancy fan for chassis in this model.  The fan is supposed to spin at constant speed 100% of time. 8500 does not have temp sensor to detect chassis temp and change chassis fan speed. I think the header is 3 pin only.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 21st, 2020 11:00

I see 92mm case fans for the XPS 8500 listed on "fleaBay". Some are used, and here's one claiming to be "new open box".

CAVEAT: Don't know any of these sellers, so do your homework...

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 21st, 2020 22:00

7 Posts

December 23rd, 2020 05:00

Hello,

Thanks for your response. Just wondering about the Noctua fan you provided a link to. Do you know specifically if it will work as the OEM fan does? I understand now that connecting it is no problem but, I have tried a bgears b-blaster 90 3-pin and it only ran during post for a short time. Then it shut down and would not run again. That's when I found a post on the forum that it needs to be a Dell specific fan or it would not work.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 11:00

@redxps630 -  Why would @Knash63 have gotten a "fan failure" error at boot if BIOS doesn't monitor/control the chassis fan in the XPS 8500?

I presume the OEM Dell chassis fan has been reinstalled and is working without any additional fan failure messages, implying the motherboard doesn't have problems seeing that fan.

But yes, I agree, best to go with another Dell OEM chassis fan to avoid further issues.

And I wonder:

1. Was that fan failure error caused by the CPU fan connector being accidentally dislodged from its motherboard header during installation of the new chassis fan?
  2. Did the b-blaster fan simply die so it doesn't even start up now... ??

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 15:00

agree that bios monitors chassis fan rpm on the 3 pin header.  often times when non Dell oem fan rpm response is out of limits of what BIOS considers normal it throws an error msg on startup. question is why OC's fan replacement stops spinning. afaik xps bios does not stop chassis fan from spinning.  it does not have such control in its design.

the other possible explanation for error in OC case is that the replacement fan is not working, or the 3 pin header is defective and fails to deliver 12V to the fan.  In both hypothetical situations the fan does not spin to a reasonable rpm (it stops after feeble spin) and it is natural that bios sends an appropriate error that fan has failed.  If the header is bad then any replacement fan would not work.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2020 16:00

@redxps630  - @Knash63  has to tell us if reinstalling the OEM chassis fan works.

The OP says "...before the original one fails" so my presumption is it was working and should work again when reinstalled, unless the motherboard header has actually failed...

7 Posts

December 24th, 2020 09:00

Ron,

Yes, I reinstalled the original and it is working properly. No errors on startup. It does run at a constant speed. I thought I'd replace it before it decides to go. I will stick with an OEM fan when I  decide to try again. Trying to sell the bgears fan I bought first. The CPU fan runs perfectly and I have had no issues. The bgears fan ran at startup the three times I rebooted with it installed so, I assume it does work as it's supposed to in a different system.

Thanks for your input.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2021 15:00

Hey, I did the same thing and it's working perfectly for me, thank you.

No Events found!