Start a Conversation

Unsolved

FV

6 Posts

May 16th, 2022 01:00

XPS 8500, mSATA SSD replacement?

Hi! I have an XPS 8500 with an mSATA SSD that has failed. An identical LiteOn replacement SSD is not available. Can anyone tell me what the limitations are on a replacement card? Current SSD card is 256GB. Can I use a 512GB or is 256GB the max? The current SSD is M3M but am seeing many M6M, can I use an M6M? The current card is LMT-256M3M. Any other specs I need to watch for in the replacement SSD? This was the Boot drive and a second HDD of 2 or 3TB is also present. I have an XPS 8930 that I can use to help load SW onto the 8500. Thanks 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 16th, 2022 04:00

@Frank V 

mSATA 512GB is max MZMTE512HMHP PM851

Samsung 512GB PM851 mSATA B00HWI56DE

There are others that Claim to be larger but they get that by using a SINGLE flash chip or 2 Flash chips to get 1TB with 900 percent LESS Durability meaning they will die soon. Thats the reason the Samsung version is $350 and the El cheapo krap die in 2 weeks brand is $35.

I did find a used one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165441345934

6 Posts

May 16th, 2022 08:00

Hi! thank you for your response. By your update, I'm concluding that there is not some sort of  Dell system upper memory size limit to the mSATA interface,  but likely will stick to either 256GB, may go to 512GB. Adding to my information request - Just asking for spec verification, so my M3M vs M6M question is still open, and if there are any other specs I need to look out for.  Hoping someone can provide an answer.      Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 16th, 2022 10:00

mSATA was mainly for miniaturization of SSDs for laptops. Yes, you can use a 512gb unit.

Soon after, M.2/PCIe/NVMe was ratified. Small, but additionally 5 times faster. No use trying to fit a mSATA into a desktop now-days.

mSATA and normal SATA-3/600 are the same speed. I suggest you get yourself a name-brand 2.5-inch 512gb SATA SSD.

As machine is old, you can pull-it when machine dies and can use in next on or external USB-3.0 enclosure.

6 Posts

May 16th, 2022 11:00

Hi!  thanks,  I'm just trying to replicate what's there now, (an mSATA SSD card, 256GB ) This is the boot drive, there is also a 2 or 3 TB SATA in the PC.   I figured by replicating what's there now, it would be the easiest fix, least likely to run into config issues.  only trying to revive this PC as my backup.   any idea on the difference between M3M (card there now) vs M6M (seeing these as available to purchase)?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 17th, 2022 18:00

Yes, I read what you are trying to do. That is why I posted ... to get you back on-track.

You originally posted you wanted to go 512gb instead. Yes, you can do that. (mSATA or 2.5in_SATA-3/600)

All mSATA are compatible with each other. Some are better than others.   

LiteOn SSDs are not particularly good, fast or reliable. This should be evident by it failing already. I've never had a SSD go bad, and I have some 10-year old (Samsung) ones still running perfectly.

Also, now-days ... 256gb for C-drive is kinda small. Most agree that 512gb is the minimum size for C-drive now. It will easily hold all Windows and all Apps. And in a few years, you will still have some "breathing room" on it.

Finally, like I said ... the 2.5inch SSD would be re-usable in next machine.

mSATA drives are rare (and priced accordingly). They are really just still being produced because of old laptops.

May 18th, 2022 23:00

I just put a brand new 1GB Orico M200 mSATA SSD that I got for a steal on Amazon on an XPS 8700 and it's been working like a charm. Running Windows 11 Pro with 32GB of RAM with a new NVIDIA 4GB video card and it's given that old dog a whole new lease on life!

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2022 01:00

Hi!   Thanks everyone for all their suggestions.  I’ve decided to go ahead and replace the mSATA SSD with a SATA SSD installed in the secondary drive bay. looks like I should be able to configure the system via BIOS to Boot from the secondary drive and reserve the primary bay for the existing data drive (a spinning 2TB SATA, which I will temporarily remove while installing Windows just to be sure not to loose any data)

Right now, going through the fine details, like I know I will need a bracket to mount the 2.5” SSD  SATA into the 3.5” SATA drive bay. It looks like the connectors should be compatible. I’m still in my fact finding mode, to make sure there are no surprises. for example I saw that some motherboards may limit SATA to 1.1TB  max.  But since I already have a 2TB SATA in the primary bay this is not the case with the XPS8500.  So I’ll likely get the 2TB SSD SATA.     Again, thanks everyone for all their suggestions and help, Frank V

No Events found!