Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

7 Posts

January 9th, 2022 08:00

XPS 8500, no sound from sub-woofer

Hi Folks

XPS 8500 - Windows 10

I am trying to get some Altec Lansing speakers to work with my XPS 8500. There is a left, right and sub-woofer.

The power feed goes into the ACS 340 sub-woofer; a cable then goes from there to the right hand speaker which has on/off, bass and treble controls on it. 

I've connected the sub-woofer to the green audio port on the back of the XPS 8500.

I get sound from the left and right speakers, but nothing from the sub-woofer.

If I try the cable from the sub-woofer in any of the other audio ports, I get no sound at all.

Is there a way to get sound from both small speakers and the sub-woofer?

Many Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 9th, 2022 18:00

Are you using Realtek Audio or Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe Audio Card which Dell installed in some XPS 8500 PCs?

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 9th, 2022 22:00

according to one user of acs340, “Setup is a snap. Simply follow the color-coded connectors to connect the three units to each other. Then connect the 3.5mm connector into the computer. Use the provided AC adapter to power the speaker system once everything is ready”

is it possible that your subwoofer is not good if you have connected the 3 units correctly.

7 Posts

January 11th, 2022 01:00

Thanks for the reply

Yes, all the connections are colour coded. I'll open up the sub-woofer to see if there is any obvious defect.

It will have to be an obvious one as I have no idea what I'll see in there!

7 Posts

January 11th, 2022 01:00

Thanks for the reply

I'm using Realtek

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2022 10:00

Did you check on the Win 10 Audio screen to make sure Mono (monophonic) is turned off?

Did you check on the Win 10 Sound screen to make sure the correct output device is selected?  And have you tried running the Troubleshooter on that screen?

If that doesn't help, can you test this speaker setup on some other PC?

7 Posts

January 14th, 2022 14:00

Thanks for your suggestions. I seem to have solved it. Not exactly sure how but one thing I did was uninstall Realtek, reboot and it was installed again automatically.

So far so good!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 14th, 2022 17:00

Glad you got it going!

You might still want to check the "Mono" setting in Windows since that seems to be the default, at least on some PCs.

No Events found!