Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

June 6th, 2019 01:00

XPS 8700, GeForce GT 635, AOC and LG monitors

Hello! If any one can help me with this query, I'd be most grateful.

I've just bought an AOC monitor that has a resolution of 2560x1440. When I plug the HDMI cable from this monitor into the GeForce 635 video card, the AOC monitor works fine and displays at its full 2560x1440 resolution. However, I also wanted to run my old LG E2360V monitor too, as a duplicate screen, but when I plug in the VGA cable from the LG monitor into the GeForce 635 video card (with the HDMI cable still plugged in and going to the AOC monitor), the resolution drops on the AOC monitor to the LG's maximum resolution of 1920x1080. Is there a way to fix this? I understand from other posts that using the XPS 8700's Display Port is not an option since the GeForce graphics card disables this port. I've tried using a DP cable from the AOC monitor to the XPS 8700 but it doesn't work. Would buying an HDMI splitter work, or are there some settings that can be changed?

Thank you very much to anyone who is able to help me with this.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 6th, 2019 19:00

It's possible resolution has to drop to the lower resolution on the AOC so the video card can support both monitors because you're duplicating the screen on monitor #2 which has a lower optimal resolution .

BUT, you can use the onboard DisplayPort port on the XPS 8700 even with an add-in video card as long as at least one monitor is connected to the add-in card.

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Look for the Intel Multi-Display option and enable it. Do not change anything else in BIOS setup. Save the change and exit setup.

Power off and connect monitor #2 to the on-board DP port and reboot. Then go to the Windows Display settings screen and tell Windows which monitor is #1 and which is #2 and that you want to duplicate screen #1 on monitor #2.

However, I don't know if the resolution on monitor #1 (video card) will still drop down to the resolution of monitor #2 (onboard DP)...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 7th, 2019 10:00

HDMI is digital.

No such thing as a splitter.

DVI and HDMI is able to support 2560x1600
VGA supports 2048 x 1536  @85hz max

DVI -A    aka VGA

vs

DVI -D   aka HDMI

3 Posts

June 10th, 2019 00:00

Hi Ron, many thanks for trying to help me. I tried what you suggested but unfortunately, it didn't work. My computer doesn't seem to recognise the DP and no picture came on the screen of the new monitor. I think I'll live with it for the time being. I've worked out how to switch screens and that works - i.e. when I switch, the new monitor keeps its full 2560x1440 resolution. It's only when I select duplicate that the resolution drops. Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to try and assist. Really very much appreciated!

3 Posts

June 10th, 2019 00:00

Hi Speedstep, Thanks very much for your help and advice. I'm grateful to you for taking the time to reply. Useful info!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 11th, 2019 10:00

Did the new monitor come with driver software and did you install it?

Did you save the change in BIOS setup after enabling Intel Multi Display?

Some monitors are "dumb" and you have to manually tell them what video port to use. If the new monitor has an On-Screen Display (OSD) that's opened by pressing a button or combination of buttons on the monitor, open OSD and look for options to change the input video port. Set it to use DP, save the change and exit OSD. Power monitor off and back on and then reboot the PC. Maybe that will help...

Can you test this monitor using DP on some other PC? I guess it's possible the new monitor is a dud...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 13th, 2019 11:00

You cant duplicate Digital to Analog because then you must go DOWN to lowest possible resolution.

VGA has LESS bandwidth and Frequency than Display port or HDMI.

You can't ever do 4k or 5k for example using VGA.

No Events found!