Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

14 Posts

July 9th, 2022 20:00

XPS 8700, installing a front case fan

I'm looking at installing a fan inside the front of my case in my XPS 8700.   I'm just hoping for some suggestions from others who have done this.

What size will fit?

Will it run off of the dell motherboard?

Can I 'T' it off the fan header on the motherboard?

What speed will it run at?  

Also, in regards to the existing rear case fan... 

Is it possible to increase the speed of this fan?  What about possible replacement fans for this one?

I've made a number of modifications/upgrades to a XPS 8700 and am concerned about temps.  I've been cautious with what I've added (ie. new GPU was a Zotac gtx 1650  4GB that only requires 75w of power).  I have also increased Ram to 32GB and am using max. amount of Hard drives  (3x 7,200 HD's, 3TB, 6TB & 8TB) a 1TB Samsung SSD for the OS & Apps, and a mSATA 512GB SSD to use for a Scratch Disk for Photoshop & Lightroom)

9 Legend

• 

11.7K Posts

July 9th, 2022 20:00

this thread has good info on front fan. this user added a small 80 mm fan at front and upgraded psu. the fan is connected to 4 pin molex of psu.  another user tried to install a 92 mm fan at front.  there is probably not enough room for 120 mm fan.

if the new front fan is 3 pin, then you can run it off chassis fan header on motherboard, but then your rear fan has no header left to plug in.  in general, better not use a Y splitter to connect two fans to single motherboard fan header. also, not a good idea to use the cpu fan header for chassis fan.

Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of this fan?

rear stock fan uses 3 pin chassis fan header on mobo, so you cannot change speed. you can try replace it with a fan that powers off 4 pin molex (if you upgrade psu to provide 4 pin).  note higher rpmf fan will also be more noisy in general.

PS in the end for better air flow swap case is ultimate solution.  it is quite easy to swap 8700 board.

14 Posts

July 11th, 2022 16:00

thanks

14 Posts

July 27th, 2022 20:00

I wanted to try to keep things simple & not invest more money than I already have at this point. (I've spent a small fortune on this thing so far).

I've installed the Noctua NF-A9 (92mm) case fan in the back.  (runs great!)

I was planning on using a Y-splitter (3-pin) and then put the orig. fan in the front part of the case but then discovered that the Y-splitters I have are both 4-pin    

I think the last couple things I'd still like to do are to upgrade/swap out the Wifi card.  I've just added a newer one to my tower & I'm getting 688 Mbps download speeds (107 Upload) but the Dell tower is only getting 210.   AND, get a CPU cooler (ie. Noctua NH U9S )

No Events found!