Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 28th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8700, power button, broke

I've been having problems with my Dell XPS 8700 power button starting to fail. I'm pretty sure it's a faulty switch because if I press really hard and wiggle it, it will eventually power on. Anyway, after spending 5 days on this I'm pretty sure I finally have the correct part number: 0F7M7N. I'm very disappointed in Dell. They have not been helpful at all. They even gave me the wrong part number and wanted me to buy it via chat sight unseen. Thank goodness I read someone else's post who was also given the wrong part number and didn't order. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. Is 0F7M7N indeed the correct part number for a replacement power button module for an XPS 8700? I see it listed as the replacement part for an 8300.

2. How do a get this part? It seems to be out of stock everywhere with no indication of when I might be able to get it.

3. This seems like it should be a known issue. One post even said to replace the front bezel and button. Is this problem, that so many people seem to be having, fixed by replacing the power button module or the front bezel and button?

Thanks!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 6th, 2018 08:00

cjc7,

Dell part F7M7N power button was used in the following system models =
2010 XPS 8300
2012 XPS 8500
2013 XPS 8700

Dell Spare Parts will not have this old part. You have to search for a reseller or on eBay.

On some, yes, they had to replace both the bezel and the button.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 05:00

Just fixed this exact problem, no response from power button. Diagnostics check at back (black button with green light) showed solid green. Removed front and top case (YouTube instruction videos), removed mount for switch and drilled two holes with Dremel in top cover to push Cut out power button and switch, remove mounting bracket for switch and ledsCut out power button and switch, remove mounting bracket for switch and ledsSlightly enlarge button hole for new switch, drill two holes to push through ledsSlightly enlarge button hole for new switch, drill two holes to push through ledsmount the power and disk activity leds. Cut out dell switch block and replaced with 12mm momentary switch from Amazon and some bridging wires - total cost £5 and I have 4 spare switches!

https://youtu.be/tS5fan0urW4 And https://youtu.be/qUVllJU-re0

Twshiny PBS-33B 12mm Push Button Waterproof Lockless Momentary ON/OFF Switch 5pcs https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M8FCTGR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aE0UBb4R5T2TQ

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 28th, 2018 07:00

It is rarely a failed power button. About 98% of the time the problem is from something else. Probably a wiring/electrical problem that will not be fixed by replacing the button assembly even if you could find the part. You are right that the part is not available. If you have a trusted computer repair shop or techie friend, get them to help.

Did you run the Dell Diagnostics to test all the hardware?

January 28th, 2018 09:00

You did not specify whether the power button does not work to turn off the PC while it is on or to turn on the PC when it is off, or both. The button will not work during Windows patch downloads or updates in the background you may be unaware of when you go to shut down. If your PC has been verifiably shut down (off) for at least a minute or more and you're using the power button to turn it on and it doesn't work, I would try unplugging and replugging in the PC power plug from the electric power wall outlet or from the power surge protector unit if you bought one. Check the power surge protector you bought, if any. It might have shut down the power because of a surge in the power line. I hope the above helps you.

2 Posts

February 5th, 2018 04:00

Hi, I am having similar problem. I shutdown my PC sometime back and now it's not switching ON.

There is amber light on the motherboard. The green LED & fans are switching ON when I hold the small button next to it on the back of the PC.

The PC used to switch ON after pressing it for < 1 sec in the beginning. Recently, I noticed that I have to hold it for ~2 sec. Is my switch PC's switch module gone ?

2 Posts

February 5th, 2018 05:00

The system started, after removing and putting back the (BIOS) button cell battery. Not very sure, if that caused it to work, or the switch module is still flaky.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2018 05:00

Forget to mention,check the switch is faulty by bridging wires below switch and seeing if PC comes on - that way you know if you are cutting out a bad part!

1 Message

January 29th, 2020 09:00

Hi, I had this problem ongoing for about 6 months and today it finally gave up.  I had already found this post / message and had bought some new push switches.

FIXED!!!!!!!

Thanks ever so much for the information and the links.  Took me about 90 minutes start to finish and this is being sent from the fixed Dell XPS8700.

Regards, Frank

2 Intern

• 

128 Posts

January 30th, 2020 08:00

One can get that switch with wiring from an online auction site new for under $30.  Used for $20.  Search for Dell F7M7N.

Luckily, mine is still working.

David

No Events found!