Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2018 09:00

XPS 8700, power button does not work

I have read some of the posts and have some progress.  Currently my power button will not turn on the system.

If I unplug the power cord and press the button for 10 seconds, then plug the cord back in , it will start.  However, so far I have to do that every time I want to turn on my PC.

Ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 12:00

Start by replacing the motherboard battery. CR2032, 3-volt coin cell battery, ~$2.00 at discount stores before you go any further. If nothing else, you rule the battery out as the problem for just a couple of bucks.

Before you replace the battery, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all the current BIOS settings, just to be safe. Then follow the instructions starting on page six-nine in the Service Manual.

When you reboot the first time after replacing the battery, if there are any error messages, reboot again and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Make sure all the settings match the ones you copied. Be sure to save the changes -if any- before exiting setup.

If replacing the battery doesn't help, you can look for a new Dell XPS 8700 power supply here, Amazon, eBay etc.

Since pulling the plug and pressing the power button for a few secs lets the PC start, it sounds -to me- that this is probably not the power button. The symptoms sound like either a bad battery and/or bad power supply, but that's just me analysis and it's entirely up to you to decide what to do next, if the new battery doesn't help.

EDIT: that's page 6 9 that got bleeped by the stupid censor software.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 1st, 2018 09:00

I would suspect a bad power supply.  

There is a "crowbar" circuit (sort of an electronic circuit breaker) and it sounds like the "crowbar" is tripping.  Disconnecting the AC power cord for a short period will reset it.  

Sadly the only true way to test a power supply is to replace it with a new/known good power supply.  There are power supply "testers" but they do not test the power supply under load, and that's when it is most likely to fail (if its bad).

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

February 1st, 2018 12:00

When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Fireberd is probably right about a new power supply.

In the meanwhile, plug the PC into a power strip and turn the strip off after you shut down normally in Windows. Switch the strip on and then boot the PC. See if that's a work-around for now...

February 2nd, 2018 07:00

How do I find what the replacement power supply is? I have looked on the dell site.  I did not find anything for xps 8700.  I only know its supposed to be  460w.

Any good sources?

February 2nd, 2018 07:00

I have never replaced the battery. I didn't know there was one.

These are symptoms of a bad power supply?

February 6th, 2018 07:00

battery fixed the problem

5 Posts

May 19th, 2018 04:00

Your continued effort of rendering a solution to a 4 yr old problem that nine times out of ten does not work should be a hint to you that you do not have the answer to the problem. I have reviewed your so-called solutions since 2016,  many of which have been costly to the unsuspecting Dell owner in search of resolving the failure of their computer to power up. As a computer software and hardware consultant for 35 yrs, if you have not diagnosed the actual problem for the "XPS 8700 power button does not work" problem, try to refrain yourself from guessing what the solution may be. It is frustrating enough to realize that one has invested a sizable amount of income to acquire a known leader in the manufacture of reliable computers only to have it blow up after thirteen months of use.

If you can't render a diagnosis that pinpoints the problem definitively, than you shouldn't suggest tedious solutions that don't work. This issue has been a long term problem across a variety of Dell models over a number of years and the culprit is most likely the same failing part(s) distributed by one manufacturer and installed in all the models that have the problem. As you said, you are not a "Dell employee" tech and most likely have not worked on any of the faulty Dell models. At some point, you may have hit upon a solution that worked once but you still haven't found  "the solution" to the problem.

Since I invested and own a Dell XPS 8700 that hasn't worked since August 2016, one month after it went out of warranty and I have read and reviewed all the Dell community discussions only to find that in 2018,  Dell and you are still providing various solutions rather than actually "fixing" the problem. After 4 years, you would have thought that someone had analyzed the problem and come up with a diagnosis that identified an actual "fix" to the problem.

Thoroughly disgusted with Dell passing the buck on this one. Power supply, motherboard, graphics card, i7 processor, battery, power switch, USB prong, when will the truth come out?

Still waiting for my non-working XPS 8700 "fix",

Lauren

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

May 19th, 2018 12:00

And your point is..?

The OP in this thread said replacing the battery fixed his PC problem. So we (volunteers  here) provided a simple, inexpensive solution. Batteries die randomly and that's nobody's fault.

We have no way to know exactly what's wrong with your PC or if you tried any of the suggestions that were posted in your thread in 2017. And if it didn't work "out of the box" as you claimed, you should have either returned it to Dell or had their Tech Support fix it.

If your warranty expired in Aug 2016, you purchased it in 2015 so a thread in 2017 claiming "out of box" problems doesn't hold water. And then you waited another 6 months before you posted about it...

I'm sorry you had these problems, but you can't blame other users (and we are users, not Dell employees) for your problems or make sweeping statements about the quality of the suggestions we make to help another user fix a PC we can't see or touch. And if you've been a computer consultant for 35 years and can't fix your PC, then how do you expect other users to fix it?

5 Posts

May 20th, 2018 04:00

I made my point!

Like you said, "(and we are users, not Dell employees)" "suggestions made to help another user fix a PC we can't see or touch” which is exactly why you should not provide suggestions regarding something you are not even familiar with. All computers are not created equal and the formidable XPS OS operating system is not your regular “user” type computer. Computer analysis and diagnosis is a skill not a guessing game and you can rest assured the Dell employees know what the real problem is with this computer.

I don’t have any problems! The problems are the manufacturer, Dell’s problems. Dell is sticking the public with the bill to fix their known defective computers by way of a one year warranty. If you are lucky enough to have the computer die on you during the warranty, they just have you box up your computer, send it back to Dell and replace it with a new one. This clearly indicates to me that there are multiple problems with third party defective parts installed in a slew of their various high end commercial models that perhaps were incompatible with other installed parts or even the motherboard and were given only a one year warranty in hopes they would fail after the warranty expired(as mine did) leaving them not liable for expensive repairs and labor on the system.

Timeline for late submission to discussion forum holds lots of water. As a “user” of a PC, you may not be aware of the skills required to manage and maintain hardware, software and communication of commercial business computers so here is a brief synopsis of a working business with a non-functioning new highend and formidable OS system computer.

As far as my computer not working "out of the box"(rec'd computer Jul 2015 shipped w/Windows 8.1 professional) the power button problem began early Aug 2015 and shut down on several occasions before and after the installation of the Windows 10 upgrade over the next three to four months. As a result of .the uncertainty of maintaining file integrity from the unexpected shut downs on the XPS 8700 computer I backed it up and restored the business files to the Dell Dimension 4500 w/Windows 7 Professional. I contacted Dell(in warranty period) discussed the problem and requested and received the System and Reinstallation CD's for 8.1 to reinstall(time period of a month given for a Windows 10 roll back had expired). After analyzing and running the diagnostics on the XPS , it had been determined that the apparent cause of the power shut down/crashes was a software problem( "blue screen fatal error").

Meanwhile, it took approximately four to six weeks before I received Windows 8.1 system CD's for the XPS. It is now tax season and I'm working on the business of tax preparation until April 15th 2016 and beyond. No time to be fixing a brand new computer. So now, we are into May and June to reinstall the Windows 8,1 and software on the reinstallation CDs not to mention all my accounting software, MS Office, and other business software had to be reinstalled, setup, tested and finally backing up and restoring.all the customers files to the XPS. It worked for a couple of months, it's now the end of September going into October 2016, the warranty has expired and the XPS 8700 shut down for the last time. Using the Dell technical reference and guide manuals to troubleshoot the problem, I performed all the various problem solving solutions they suggested. The first was to replace the computer battery.

I finally posted so late in 2017 because I was angry at the big rip off Dell was perpetrating on unsuspecting consumers and wanted to put out the word on this forum. Consumers were buying through big name discount distributors such as Costco and taking delivery from the manufacturer's warehouse..

I have to invest another $$$$???? just to get a brand new computer to power on again.

For Dell, it's all about the Benjamins$$$$. Product quality, reliability. service and customer satisfaction like all integrity, dependability and loyalty have been swept under the carpet.

Dell should have resolved this problem and stopped churning out these defective computers in 2013-14 with the previous models and went after the manufacturers of the defective parts.

I have a $1K plus computer that I have to invest another $$$$???? In to make it run and it ticks me off especially now that I am retired and on a fixed income to pour more money into what I thought was an amazing addition to the Dell family of products.

Yes, I am more than capable of fixing my own computer, thank you. Why should I have to when I was buying a reputable brand synonymous with dependability, reliability and customer service.

I own a Dell Dimension 4500(15 yrs old) desktop, a Dell Optiplex(12 yrs) desktop and a Dell Latitude(?) laptop all of which are still being used and operable. The Dell XPS 8700 was going to allow me to combine all the programs, data files, picture files on one computer and retire the two old dependable Dells that had maxed out of being capable for anymore upgrades.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2018 14:00

Yep, that is exactly how I start a post after wasting time and money following bad advice and dealing with a company that refuses to provide a fix to a problem that is very easy to fix.

Regards

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@mjwallace wrote:

1. SHAME ON DELL and the people giving bad advice on this and other forums.

2. I had this problem for almost two months. Following all the bad advice, I spent $150+ on a new MOBO, PSU, and CMOS battery, none of which worked. I found a DELL 8300 switch on eBay, purchased it, and my computer started right up and is working fine. 

1. Seriously ... that's how you start your post? :TongueTied: 

2. Thanks for posting this useful information. Hopefully, people with search and find it.

However, to those same people ... Don't resort to "shotgun repairs".

If you don't know how to start a computer without the original Power-On switch ... I suggest you seek-out the help of a qualified computer technician, or a least a family-member/friend with some PC-hardware skills.

2 Posts

SHAME ON DELL and the people giving bad advice on this and other forums. I had this problem for almost two months. Following all the bad advice, I spent $150+ on a new MOBO, PSU, and CMOS battery, none of which worked. I found a DELL 8300 switch on eBay, purchased it, and my computer started right up and is working fine. Knowing now that this problem is very widespread and that DELL has no intention of providing a replacement part (they make a lot more $$$ selling people new computers they don't really need), I intend to to send my old 8700 power button to an individual on eBay who repairs these switches so I have a backup.

For those of you with this problem, Power Switch part #F7M7N from the following DELL models will work with your DELL XPS 8700:

2010 XPS 8300
2012 XPS 8500
2013 XPS 8700

Below is a link to "dlinkg" on eBay, he fixes these bad power buttons for $25.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-8300-8500-8700-power-button-REPAIR-SERVICE-F7M7N-READ-DESCRIPTION/113148105420?hash=item1a582712cc%3Ag%3AIccAAOSwvzVa1W9x&_sacat=0&_nkw=XPS+8700+power+button&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

I hope this helps all of you out there wrestling with this issue! Good luck!

1 Message

July 31st, 2018 11:00

I had the same problem. The start button became less and less functional and finally quit all together. After following all the recommendations on the WEB with no joy I finally tore the machine down and momentarily jumped the two wires to the start switch. Bingo the machine started. Since the start switch assembly for this box is no longer available I installed a momentary contact push button switch on one of the blank slot covers on the back and wired it to the switch wires. Now I just reach behind the computer and tap the button to start it. Not the most elegant solution but I’m up and running.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 31st, 2018 12:00

@Kjwannabe wrote:

1. The start button became less and less functional and finally quit all together.

2. I ... momentarily jumped the two wires to the start switch. Bingo the machine started.

3. I installed a momentary contact push button switch on one of the blank slot covers on the back and wired it to the switch wires. Now I just reach behind the computer and tap the button to start it.

4. Not the most elegant solution but I’m up and running.

1. Indicative of a simple "switch going bad".

2. Exactly. That was my point. If you don't know how to trouble-shoot this problem ... properly like this ... you really shouldn't be trying to fix it yourself

3. Good work :Yes:

4. Exactly. I think an appropriate fix for a machine of this age (considering lack of OEM parts, final cost, etc.). All you need to do it to keep it running cheaply for it's final years. 

1 Message

October 15th, 2018 17:00

I had the same problem.  I changed the battery and installed a new power supply.  Then got it to start up fine after the third button push.  After a normal shutdown, it won't start.  I'm stuck with a dead computer. Is there a way to jump the power button and use the switch on the power supply to start the computer?

No Events found!