Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 4th, 2018 05:00

XPS 8700, replaced HDD, USB boot issues

I got this computer back in 2013. It worked great for a while, but it's been running slow lately. Still usable, though. Until last week. All of a sudden, instead of booting up, it showed a black screen reading.

No boot device available =
SATA 0: None
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA 3: None
SATA 4: None
SATA 5: None
Strike the F1 key to retry boot, F2 to run the setup utility.

After messing with it for a while, and continuously getting that message even after resetting the BIOS settings, I figured that maybe the hard drive had gone bad. So I put a new one in. After that, the same message appeared, but it now says SATA 0: Installed.

So I figured I'd probably just need to reinstall Windows from a USB flash drive. I downloaded the Windows 10 installation tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and, as near as I can tell, configured it on a USB flash drive as instructed.

But when I insert that flash drive into the computer and reboot, I can hit F12 and the load options pop up, but there are no options under UEFI to load from the USB. If I switch to Legacy mode, I do see the Sandisk flash drive under the options, but if I select it and reboot, I get a message reading "Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

So I'm stumped. I was able to restore Windows via USB on a different computer a while back, and I don't remember running into any issues like this. Is my computer just messed up (beyond the hard drive) or am I doing something wrong?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 12:00

Are you connecting the bootable USB with the Win 10 ISO file on it before  you power the PC on?

Connect the USB first, then power on, immediately press F12 and look for the option to boot from USB on the F12 menu.

No Events found!