Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 23rd, 2018 14:00

XPS 8900, added GTX 1060, power button not working

So, I attempted to upgrade from a GTX 745 to the GTX 1060. When I went to power up, the power button isn't working. When I hold the test button on back on the PSU, everything runs fine but there's no video. Also, I can now hear a coil whine. PSU is 460w so it should have been fine. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 23rd, 2018 17:00

Did you accidentally disconnect or dislodge the cable from the power-button connector on the motherboard (#9 on page 16 here) that goes to the front panel when you installed the new GPU?  I'd check that connection at both ends and make sure that cable doesn't get dislodged again when you close the case.

Is the new GPU correctly/fully seated in the PCI-e x16 slot?

When you reconnected the monitor to the PC, did you accidentally connect it to one of the on-board video ports instead of to the new GPU?

If you remove the new GPU and revert to the old one, does PC work correctly again?

2 Posts

August 13th, 2018 12:00

I am having the same problem.  My amber light on the power just flashes once the power is connected.  It flashed about 15 times, then after that it flashes 2 times, pause 2 times forever.  I replaced the 1060 with the 960 that was in it and booted right up.  Any thoughts on that?  Jamoist, did you get yours working and if so, what did you do?

Thanks!

No Events found!