Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 15th, 2018 03:00

XPS 8910 airflow and gpu idle

Hi,

I have a DELL XPS 8910 with Ge force GTX 745.

I noticed it idles at 60 degrees Celsius. This seems unnecessarily hot, I took it apart and removed as much dust as I could, nothing changed.

I was planning on upgrading to a GTX 1060, and, I am wondering will the XPS 8910 be able to handle this card with its current airflow, and its 460 watt psu?

Thanks,

Matt

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 15th, 2018 04:00

I think I would try to track down the cause of high idle temperatures before considering a new graphics card that requires more power and generates more heat. I have an XPS 8910 and an GTX 750 Ti and it idles at around 30 degrees Celsius. If you are not using HWMonitor to monitor temperature perhaps you should try it.

If you are concerned that your graphics card is generating the extra heat, you should remove it and see what the temperatures are while operating on integrated graphics. The GTX 1060 requires a 400 Watt PS minimum and a supplementary 6-pin power connector. The GTX 745 requires a 300 Watt PS minimum, so I don't see how changing graphics cards is going to improve the situation.

13 Posts

April 15th, 2018 05:00

Hi,

I didn't want to change the GPU because my current one was to hot, I just wanted more performance. I was just wondering if the airflow and fans could handle that GPU?

Do you have any tips on how to track down idle temps, without removing gpu?

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 15th, 2018 07:00

To track down idle temperatures you could install HWMonitor which monitors CPU temps, CPU utilization, hard drive temps, and GPU temps. The problem is that once temperatures start rising all parts will probably rise to the same temperature. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 15th, 2018 09:00

@MatthewJMwrote:

I noticed it idles at 60 degrees Celsius. This seems unnecessarily hot, I took it apart and removed as much dust as I could, nothing changed.

On some video cards ... if you have 2 monitors attached ... it might not down-clock and cool-off at idle as others report for your same card. This is by design and nothing is broken.

13 Posts

April 15th, 2018 15:00

Thanks, Tesla! You made me check my displays, when I go CTRL-P and press extend/duplicate, it states there is an analogue display attached.There isn't. 

How do I force the GPU to forget about the mysterious analogue display. I had it hooked up to a projector, but, I took out the VGA cable so I don't understand why it thinks it is still connected. 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 15th, 2018 16:00

So are you saying that as a result of disconnecting a VGA cable that was not connected to any display and changing back to a single display operation your idle temperatures are back to normal?

13 Posts

No, the PC didn't recognise the removal of the device, so it still thinks two displays are connected.

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

Can't you right-click on the Desktop, select Display settings, select the display you wish to disconnect, and then under the Multiple displays drop down menu select Disconnect this display.

13 Posts

April 15th, 2018 22:00

Nope.This is all I see.

Nothing about disconnecting it! 

display1.PNG

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 16th, 2018 03:00

Sorry, you have to describe in words what you see, pictures do not work on this forum.

13 Posts

April 16th, 2018 23:00

Hi,

Under Multiple Displays I see these options

Multiple Displays

Duplicate these displays

-

Extend these displays

-

Show only on 1

-

Show only on 2

https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/3543i99CC06D9749F5976/image-size/large?v=1.0&px=999

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 04:00

OK, I think I see what is happening. The options you see is because your main display is selected. Obviously you cannot disconnect your main display. To verify this you should see that the check box and the line "Make this my main display" grayed out. To disconnect your other display go to the top of the Display screen, under "Select and rearrange displays", "Select a display below to change its settings. Some settings are applied to all displays." and select your other display. Now when you go to "Multiple displays" you should see the option to "Disconnect this display".

13 Posts

April 17th, 2018 17:00

This doesn't seem to work. Here is me following your instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i3MTnjmqBo&feature=youtu.be

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

April 17th, 2018 17:00

The youtube video was a little fast but I see that it does not work. I have 3 displays and it works for me, but all my displays are connected by a digital interface either DVI or HDMI, so perhaps VGA is the problem. 

The only other thing to try is to right-click the Desktop and select the NVIDIA Control Panel. I don't know if your version of NVIDIA Control Panel is the same as mine, but under Select a Task (on the left), Display, Set up multiple displays then on the right you will see Set Up Multiple Displays, 1. Select the displays you want to use, you will see your graphics card (in my case GeForce GTX 750 Ti) and all the displays listed, uncheck the display that is not needed.

13 Posts

April 17th, 2018 18:00

I unchecked it. 

It isn't causing any problems having this ghost display connected, it is just that it caused the GPU to idle higher. Very confusing. 

Ill see if it improves.

No Events found!