Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 2nd, 2018 13:00

XPS 8910, power button working, but no LED

Hi I've bought Dell XPS 8910 about a year ago and its working fine. However, recently I've noted that when the power is on, there is no white LED on power button. When I start computer, orange color appears normally for few seconds. Can someone help me with this issue?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 15:00

So you're saying the power LED turns amber and then goes off instead of white?  When you start the PC by pressing the power button, does the power button blink an error code before it goes off? Error codes are on page 131 in the Service Manual.

If the PC is working correctly, it's possible the power button LED failed. If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support. They can replace the power button module.

And if you're not under warranty, you can either replace that button module yourself (see page 85 in the manual), or just ignore it. 

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 16:00

Yes the orange light blinks once when I turn PC on and then the lights go off. PC works fine though. 

Many thanks for help. I'll try it to replace it myself.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 19:00

Did it always blink amber once before turning white?

The code list says 1 blink =  System board: BIOS and ROM failure

But you said your PC is working normally...?

You'll probably have to order the button module directly from Dell Spare Parts, if you're not under warranty. So have your Service Tag handy when you call them. If you're under warranty, Tech Support should send you the module for free.

Post back and let us know what happens...

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 1st, 2018 16:00

I have just experienced the same problem with my XPS 8910. 

I am about 3 months out of warranty, and had my motherboard replaced twice while on warranty for usb related issues.  A few days ago I powered up my computer with no problem.  It performed a windows 10 update, and when it rebooted it booted to a black screen, but I think the power light was lit at that time.  I tried replacing the video card to no avail, but when I plugged my tv into the hdmi outlet on the motherboard everything worked fine.

Then today I ran diagnostics after booting to F12, and it said everything checked fine, and when I rebooted to the hdmi outlet on the motherboard it still worked fine, but when I plugged in another hdmi cable to the video card all of a sudden the video card was working again, but when I re-booted -- the white power light is extremely dim (virtually out), and the orange light does come on for about a second when I push the power button.

I went to "Dell Support Assist", and ran their diagnostic for driver updates, etc, and it wanted me to update my bios from 1.1.5 I believe to 1.1.6 or something to that effect, and I did not do it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 1st, 2018 17:00

@dave13078 wrote:

I have just experienced the same problem with my XPS 8910. 

I am about 3 months out of warranty, and had my motherboard replaced twice while on warranty for usb related issues.  A few days ago I powered up my computer with no problem.  It performed a windows 10 update, and when it rebooted it booted to a black screen, but I think the power light was lit at that time.  I tried replacing the video card to no avail, but when I plugged my tv into the hdmi outlet on the motherboard everything worked fine.

Then today I ran diagnostics after booting to F12, and it said everything checked fine, and when I rebooted to the hdmi outlet on the motherboard it still worked fine, but when I plugged in another hdmi cable to the video card all of a sudden the video card was working again, but when I re-booted -- the white power light is extremely dim (virtually out), and the orange light does come on for about a second when I push the power button.

I went to "Dell Support Assist", and ran their diagnostic for driver updates, etc, and it wanted me to update my bios from 1.1.5 I believe to 1.1.6 or something to that effect, and I did not do it.

Like I told the OP in this thread, if the PC is running ok, except for issues with the white LED in the power button, I'd just ignore it.

As for the BIOS update, go to the support page for this model and read the details about what the BIOS update fixes and/or improves. Then decide if you want to risk doing the update which has the potential to brick your motherboard. And before you run the update, if that's what you decide, search these forums to see if anyone has reported issues with that new version.

If you run the update without being instructed to do it by a Dell Tech agent (SupportAssist software does not count as a "Dell Tech agent"), and it bricks your motherboard, Dell isn't going to replace the board. Read their policy on BIOS updates here.

5 Posts

July 1st, 2018 19:00

Hi guys,

Just quick update on my system. In total I've seen three Dell technicians (one from Unisys and two from IBM, both Dell subcontractors) and it took two replacements of motherboard, one of the main chip to finally figure out (and that was by last guy from IBM) that actual problem is - faulty cable leading to the button unit (which technician googled out while waiting for call from Dell online help). Dell online help was very fast and professional, however, though they've failed to recognize what the problem is - and it was not the motherboard failing.

All in all, I'm very grateful to Dell as all this was done at no cost and with very fast response indeed. 

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 9th, 2018 18:00

As I stated earlier:  I had my motherboard replaced twice on warranty due to usb issues.  After the second replacement, the Dell technician had to walk me through a reinstall of my OS from my recovery thumb drive, and after that reinstall he guided me to update my bios to 1.1.5.  Now I am three going on four months out of warranty, and I am getting a bios/motherboard error.

Do I have any recourse with Dell since they directed me to update the bios?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 9th, 2018 19:00

@dave13078 wrote:

As I stated earlier:  I had my motherboard replaced twice on warranty due to usb issues.  After the second replacement, the Dell technician had to walk me through a reinstall of my OS from my recovery thumb drive, and after that reinstall he guided me to update my bios to 1.1.5.  Now I am three going on four months out of warranty, and I am getting a bios/motherboard error.

Do I have any recourse with Dell since they directed me to update the bios?

AFAIK, this is Dell's latest policy about BIOS updates. But, their policy only covers failures that happen immediately after and as a consequence of doing a BIOS update. So if you updated BIOS while still under warranty and the PC was OK after the update, it's been working for at least ~3-4 months since the update. So the BIOS update policy doesn't apply here.

"Replacement parts and products are covered for the remaining period of the limited hardware warranty for the product you purchased." according to Dell's hardware warranty.  So the warranty on the last new motherboard also expired ~3-4 months ago.

So let's try to troubleshoot...

1. Exactly what error message are you getting?
  2. When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?
  3. Have you tried clearing BIOS?

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 10th, 2018 14:00

The error I am getting is as follows: I push the start (power) button, and it turns on orange for one second then it turns white.

The battery is only a year old, and it tests at 3.6 volts with my voltmeter.

I have not tried clearing the bios.  If I do will that take me back to the factory installed bios?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 10th, 2018 16:00

Now I'm totally confused... :TongueTied:

You started out saying you had a video card problem and dim LED on the power button and you swapped video cards but it didn't help. Then you said after running diags, and connecting to a TV, the video card worked again.

So is this the "new" video card you swapped in or the original one? Keep in mind that onboard video ports are supposed to be disabled when there's an add-in video card. So make sure you're using the add-in video card ports. And I'd put the original card back in, unless you know for sure it's not working.

Does the PC boot and run OK or not, regardless of the color and intensity of the power button LED?

Clearing BIOS only resets it to the default settings. If you updated BIOS after buying the PC, clearing BIOS resets the last version installed back to its default settings. It won't take you back to whatever original version of BIOS was installed by Dell.

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 10th, 2018 16:00

I am running the machine with the original video card, but I have my monitor plugged into the motherboard hdmi port.

If I plug a monitor into the video card hdmi port the power button goes extremely dim on reboot.

If I use the VGA port the video card doesn't work.

I suppose there is no reason to clear the bios as I am quite sure I am running the default settings anyway, and there is absolutely no mention in the bios settings about video cards.

2 Posts

July 10th, 2018 18:00

The error I am getting is as follows: I push the start (power) button, and it turns on orange for one second then it turns white.

I have not tried clearing the bios.  If I do will that take me back to the factory installed bios?

while i plugged in the charger it works fine also not working while i play movies

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 11th, 2018 11:00

@funnyguru wrote:

while i plugged in the charger it works fine also not working while i play movies

You jumped into the middle of someone else's thread with an entirely unrelated question. You should start your own new thread on the correct forum, and be sure to mention the exact PC model and version of Windows.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 11th, 2018 11:00

@dave13078 wrote:

I am running the machine with the original video card, but I have my monitor plugged into the motherboard hdmi port.

If I plug a monitor into the video card hdmi port the power button goes extremely dim on reboot.

If I use the VGA port the video card doesn't work.

I suppose there is no reason to clear the bios as I am quite sure I am running the default settings anyway, and there is absolutely no mention in the bios settings about video cards.

It's still worth resetting BIOS to the defaults. Sometimes, especially when the motherboard battery is weak or the power blinked, BIOS settings get scrambled. 

1. Reboot and press F12 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current settings to be safe. 
  3. Power off, unplug, and press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  4. Open case and remove battery and press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery
  6. Close up and boot with only mouse, monitor connected to add-in video card, and keyboard.

If the onboard video ports aren't disabled with the add-in video card installed, that suggests either the video card and/or the PCI-e x16 slot may have failed. Do you get the same set of symptoms with a known-working add-in video card? 

1 Rookie

• 

9 Posts

July 11th, 2018 17:00

First: let me say I'm sorry because I am probably the one who jumped into the middle of someone else's thread.

I took pictures of all my bios settings, and then I reset bios to the default settings and rebooted my computer.

Even if it did not make any changes it went through the process of acting as if it did make changes.  I rebooted again to bios and confirmed that all the settings were as before.

I rebooted again and found that the power button light still lights orange for a second and then turns white. The video card does work (at least for the hdmi slot) but the hdmi slot also works on the motherboard.  I have not tried the VGA output on the video card which is what I used to use as my primary monitor source, but I assume it is working as well.

What ever the case: thank you for all the help and suggestions. 

No Events found!