Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 17th, 2018 08:00

XPS 8920 - USB Audio Distortion (Allen & Heath Qu-32) Disable xHCI

Good afternoon,

I have a Dell XPS8920 and am playing back audio via USB to my A&H Qu-32 audio interface. The issue I am getting is that audio starts to get distorted after between 15-60 minutes of use. The distortion gets to a point where the audio is unusable fairly quickly. The only thing that helps is unplugging and plugging back in the interface. As far as I am aware, the issue is due to the fact that my audio interface like many others uses an Asynchronous transfer method. Here is a list of the steps I have taken due to some suggestions:

I have emailed A&H and been active on their forums, but they also say the issue is not with them. They blame the issue on Intel. 

I have written to Intel about this Issue. They say that this is due to xHCI Drivers not supporting this transfer method and is a common issue for USB 2.0 and 3.0 compatibility. They suggested that Microsoft develops these drivers and there is nothing they can do.

I emailed Microsoft and they also do not want to take responsibility or have a means of fixing this issue and referred me to you for direct support.

Steps I tried due to suggestions I received along the way:

Disable anti-virus,

Disabled auto updates,

Updated all drivers,

Updated firmware,

Reverted to older Windows versions,

Tried older driver versions,

Re-installed Windows,

Tried disabling all USB Ports. (Which left me with no functionality at all),

Tried to disable xHCI without success as there is no option for this in my BIOS.

The only step I was not able to complete successfully that may work was disabling xHCI as suggested in my BIOS. This has worked for other people that were experiencing similar issues effectively "downgrading" their USB 3.0 ports to 2.0 ports. The BIOS of the XPS9820 does not have this option. Disabling or uninstalling xHCI in my control panel leaves all USB ports without functionality.

I am really at the end of my rope and completely out of ideas. I really need someone to provide a solution to this issue...

Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2018 10:00

Sadly another "its not my problem" response from vendors, or they point the finger at another vendor.   One thing I see from your post, its not a Dell problem.  Either Microsoft or Intel or the A&H mixer.  I have a friend with a big MIDAS digital board and he has no computer connectivity problems.

I see this has Ethernet connectivity.  Will that work connected to the Ethernet port on the PC?  Or, just connect the analog "speaker" out to two channels on the mixer.  I use the headphone out on my  laptop to two input channels on my MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface when I record Karaoke singers in my recording studio.  I don't lose anything connecting with the Analog rather than a digital connection.  (I have a Karaoke program that displays the song lyrics for the singers that I use in my laptop).

No Events found!