Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

9 Posts

August 9th, 2018 18:00

XPS 8920, unknown USB device (port reset failed)

My computer says "unknown usb device (port reset failed)"

I have an Anker hub. I last port says the error. I have plugged the hub into every port on the computer and I get the same error. I tried the hub on 5 different computers and I get no error. The computer works fine otherwise. If I plug anything into the last port of the hub I get the error. This is strange.

I have factory reset the computer twice. I have uninstalled all the USB drivers and reinstalled them. I have disconnected and reconnected all my USB devices one by one and I get that error on the last port of that hub. 

I replaced the hub with another from Anker and the same thing happens with the new one. In fact, the first one was brand new. What's interesting is that although I get the error on the last port, I can still read and access whatever device I put on that port. For example, if I put an iLok on that port, I get the error but I can still license Pro Tools. If I connect a USB drive, I get the error but I can still copy and delete files as if there were no problem.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 9th, 2018 20:00

Is your Device Manager free of errors?

Does a simple flash-drive work in all USB-Ports?

Try a USB-v3.0 port because I think they handle more power.

If there is a separate AC-Power-Adapter jack on your Anker hub ... you should be using it. 

I'm running a Anker 10-Port 60W USB 3.0 Powered Hub ( AK-A7515111 ) on my Apple Mac (2012) desktop and it works fine.

August 15th, 2018 23:00

Device Manager is error-free.
I have tried every port on the computer and all ports work fine.
I have tried different USB devices on all the ports and again, all work fine.
I do have the power adapter connected to the Anker hub.
You and I own the exact same hub, the AK-A7515111

It's very odd that I get that error. You should check your hub to see if the last thing you plug into the hub gives you the same error if when you check the "remove USB safely" icon from the system tray. It seems that this is the problem but it's only a dialog error I get, not an physical error; meaning, devices still work attached to the hub on that last port. However, sometimes the system will hang and not shut down if I leave something plugged into that port, like a USB hard drive. This is one of the most bizzare things I've ever seen.

Thank you for replying back. It was greatly appreciated that you took the time to read my post and try to offer some advice.

October 27th, 2018 16:00

Ok, guys...I still have no idea what is going on. It's just a thing that will NOT go away. Could this very well be a Windows 10 issue? I mean, considering how buggy it's been in the last few months, I've left the computer off all this time so as to not update, therefore, bypassing all the bugs and fixes so I can just get a stable update release sometime now or in the near future. 

Anyone with the same problem?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 29th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your message. This does not seem to be an issue with the physical ports.

Disconnect all USB devices from the computer – Open device manager- expand USB controllers – Right click & uninstall all entries including the root hubs ( do not check the box that says delete the driver. Install the Chipset driver from Support site & then reboot the computer. 

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 29th, 2018 11:00

How many other devices are already connected when you plug a USB device into the "last port"? Is it always the same "last port"? In other words, if you connect USBs to ports 2-5 and then connect to #1 as the "last port", do you still get error?

February 10th, 2022 04:00

Hey, Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed) is a common error that is usually faced by numerous users when trying to expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers section. And it can be fixed by trying the below tricks:

• Unplug & Again Plug-In The USB Drive
  • Restart Your PC
  • Connect USB Device To Another PC
  • Try the Different USB Port
  • Change The Setting Of Power Management.
  • Uninstall & Reinstall USB Driver

All the best…!

To know more solutions, you can refer to: https://www.rescuedigitalmedia.com/unknown-usb-device-port-reset-failed-error

No Events found!