546insp
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 8930, How I Fixed the Noise Issues

Jump to solution

L B 84 Did you put those front fans under the top/front HDD bay are where does the power come from for them?

Dell XPS 8920 silver edition
7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Samsung 850 evo SSD for boot
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card
I buy a new Dell every 4 years for the last 25 years

0 Kudos
LittleBear84
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

546insp:

Yes, they are in front, both in-take. Please see the pic below:

XPS8920_Noctua.jpg

As you also might notice from the picture, I have another Noctua (this one is 92mm) that works as an exhaust fan. I dont play games, so there is no need for a big discrete graphic card at that location:).

In total, I use five Noctua fans: three 120mm (2 up front, and 1 as a top fan), one 92mm, and one 80mm (CPU cooler). Power comes from the chassis-fan connector (for three 120mm fans) and processor-fan connector (for 92mm and 80mm fans) using the y-cable (NA-YC1) supplied by Noctua.

Thanks!

Highlighted
LittleBear84
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

aleg123:

Thanks. The ARCTIC Freezer 11 LP also came to my attention. But it is a push-pin cooler. Did you just use the M3 screws instead of the pins?

0 Kudos
LittleBear84
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I got a 1151 CPU clamp back plate from an used Gigabyte motherboard, and decided to change the CPU stock cooler to Noctua NH 9Li. Below are the two pics (before and after). But I don't see much improvement at idle:).

8920_with_Stock_CPU_Cooler.jpg8920_with_Noctua_CPU_Cooler.jpg

aleg123
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Yes, just used standard M3 screws (abou 8mm length) and it worked. Highly recomend it.

0 Kudos
Vic384
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

LittleBear84, I am curious, how are the front fans mounted (secured to the chassis)? It is difficult to tell from the picture. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AB111
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello, 

Thanks for the infos on this topic!

Any thoughts on something like the  SHADOW ROCK LP by Bequiet? This cooler seems to come with a set of screws that may fit in the initial backplate. I'm looking for a solution without having to remove the backplate, I'm not sure that the height of this one is short enough. But these king of screws give hope to more options 😉 (just need to dig a little more).

More infos:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/570

I'm also curious about any infos about liquid cooling, did anyone succeeded with this? I think we still got places to manage the exhaust. 

The documentation of dell can give us some clues: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ca/en/cadhs1/xps-8930-desktop/xps-8930-service-manual/procedure...

If I manage something on my own I'll post it there. 

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

I'm not seeing much if any gain here. I see those two 120mm front fans are mounted solid at the bottoms which would radiate sound through the metal structure, also there is a huge gap between them and the front mesh screen so the hot air is making a U turn and going back through the fans instead of pulling air from the vertical front/side vents. Look for a post with pics on my new front fan installation when is gets here. Noctua might be a little better but there is no silver bullet when it comes to fans.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos
HanoverB
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

@546insp wrote:

I'm not seeing much if any gain here. I see those two 120mm front fans are mounted solid at the bottoms which would radiate sound through the metal structure, also there is a huge gap between them and the front mesh screen so the hot air is making a U turn and going back through the fans instead of pulling air from the vertical front/side vents. Look for a post with pics on my new front fan installation when is gets here. Noctua might be a little better but there is no silver bullet when it comes to fans.

What?  There is certainly a gain in the introduction of airflow by adding the front fans and another exhaust fan below the GPU in a case like this with restricted airflow. 

The issue is managing the temps from the CPU.  Introducing front intake fans may give you 3-5 degree drop in overall case temps but it's not going to solve the problem with the CPU and stock cooler.

There are several ways to add a front fan, you can certainly add an Alienware fan in the lower front that would just snap into place (take a look on the chassis where the lock points are), you can use brackets, or the existing screw holes in the front of the chassis.  It's not difficult.

I think it's great that the pictures show the various locations that the fans can be placed in the case.

0 Kudos
546insp
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

I didn't see that rear fan until you mentioned it and it's probably the best addition in there except for you can't use a video card or the rear/bottom HDD cage with it in there and the upper front one eliminates that HDD bay also. The way the front ones are mounted they are just blowing hot air around and not taking advantage of the front vents at all. Not to mention there is no provision for vibration noises anywhere. When I put my 120mm fan in the front next week I will wait and see how much it helps and if needed I will try mounting my rear slot fan again another way. It was advertised "whisper quiet" but was actually loud.

7th gen i7 Intel CPU
Added front fan
16gb of memory
AMD video/graphic card

0 Kudos