Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2019 07:00

XPS 8930, No boot, no display, LED lights on

I have a brand new XPS 8930 which is working fine with the latest and updated Win 10.  I do know how to access the BIOS, but only see a black screen when in the BIOS.  On that subject, I have a defrag program that will do the job before entering Windows.  I also get a black screen when doing this, but it still works and will enter Windows when done.

I believe my problem is the display.  The display adapter is the NVIDIA RTX 2060.  How do I get the display to work BEFORE the boot, which is what I must do to see the BIOS.

Thanks, MrBill

25 Posts

August 5th, 2019 10:00

Just one monitor.  I was unable to resolve the problem so called  Dell support.  They were also not able to fix this on the phone (for an hour!), but suspected a bad motherboard.  They are sending out an on-site tech, at their expense - thank goodness!

-Bill

1 Rookie

• 

54 Posts

August 5th, 2019 10:00

This is a shot in the dark, but could you have configured the system with two monitors? The BIOS settings and splash screens will only display on one of them (assuming that you setup an extended desktop), and if that monitor is either absent or turned off...you'll get no image on the other until you reach Windows.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 5th, 2019 12:00

I am confused as to the actual issue? Please click my Dell-name and private message me the XPS 8930 service tag number so I can read the logs.

If you can get into Windows, the motherboard, monitor, and RTX 2060 are functioning? Can you explain in detail how the monitor was connected to the RTX 2060? The monitor should NOT be connected to the XPS 8930 onboard USB Type-C, HDMI, or DP (DisplayPort).

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

August 6th, 2019 08:00

2017 is first one, so yours is 2019 brand new fresh? not refurbs etc.  RtX2060 (super?)

IT HAS (2060) 3 ports there,  use  dvi first, then HDMI and DP last for BIOS access. 

some call new and are NOT. can't see what is in your PC nor what is connected to the rear. 1 monitor or 2, ?

if one, is it plugged in to the PCI GPU card,"? 2060 sure.?

if. NO monitor stated, no cable types stated, or connected to what.

I say all this in the hope that it just connected wrong. and no need for service at all.

3 issues here, when did  the 2060 get installed, and using which of 3 jacks there for monitor.

2: what defrag program?,.  non w10 are bad to the bone.

3: what drives do you have, vast choice new,  do not defrag any SSD drive , ever and for sure alien defrag apps.

4: no boot up, can be even simple DVD left in a try  or errant USB memory stick in a slot USB.

spec.

if  ok? 8th generation Intel Core i3/i5/i5k//i7/i7k Chipset Intel Z370 top left rear has a DP and HTMI ports there, (off line with PCI PGU CARD In PLACE) do not use those for BIOS, use the PCIe GPU  2060 card, the GPU cards Dell sold new are ( connect the monitor to below) only (and in order of , vga/dvi/hdmi /dp) ) depend on w now your storage spec

windows 10 actual w10 defrag know what to do but Alien Defrags, are BAD to the bone. OPTIONS DAY 1 NEW ARE: (spec on pc cut paste)

Hard drive

Three 3.5-inch hard drives Solid-state drive (do not run any defrag here ever)

One M.2 slot (do not run any defrag here ever)

Optical drive (optional) One Slimline DVD+/-RW Capacity:

Hard drive (defrags ok) Up to 4 TB SSD (do not run any defrag here ever)

PCIe/NVMe: Up to 1 TB (do not run any defrag here ever)

I added the DO NOT warnings.... ok> (means running non MS W10 Utilities)

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

August 6th, 2019 08:00

NVIDIA RTX 2060 (needs AUX power jack cables to PSU first)

it uses 175watts all by it self. or 160 for the cheaper card.

the PSU must handle that, sized for it.

The jacks on the rear of any RTX depend on the brand and sub models of 2060 sold.

no URL to yours GPU. card  ,. see all these cards?

I use the CUDE engine to compress video, now with handbrake, 5 time faster than my fast CPU. (love it)

the nvidia super version has

DisplayPort / HDMI / DVI-DL Support     

so to get BIOS jack on in to DVI first. then HDMI then DP last.  one will work.                   

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 6th, 2019 13:00

Is the monitor connected directly to the add-in video card and not to one of the onboard Intel HD Graphics ports on the PC?

Monitor should be connected at #2, highlighted here:

XPS 8930.jpg

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 6th, 2019 06:00

BMullin,

Awaiting a response to my previous post.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 19th, 2019 10:00

@BMullin  - Appears you marked every post in this thread as the solution for your display issue.

What did you actually do to solve the problem? Your solution could help others who encounter the same issue, so please share...

No Events found!