Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

8 Posts

December 22nd, 2019 07:00

XPS 8930, Nvidia 2060 and onboard Intel 630

Hi, I recently got my new XPS 8930 with the upgraded Nvidia 2060 card. I figured at first to just use the HDMI ports on the back, I was surprised when I found that the onboard 630 was enabled. I shrugged my shoulders and continued with setup, afterwards the more I think about it - maybe it's responsible for the 3-5 second hangs other people in other threads are discussing?

What's optimal? There aren't two HDMI ports on the 2060, should I be connecting both monitors to the 2060? Via what kind of cable or adapter? I have various adapters I can use, from VGA to multiple ports that have the same form but different pins being used..  (not sure of the name for each version of this type of port)

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you for posting and for sending the service tag information via private message. We have opened a case and will be responding to you privately.

-Ummer

8 Posts

Right, but which ports offer the best performance, or is there no difference?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

@lmuliolis    There aren't two HDMI ports on the 2060

Not sure for what purpose(s) you are using your computer, but it appears the RTX 2060 has 3 display port connectors. That is where I would go.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2019 08:00

@lmuliolis    Right, but which ports offer the best performance, or is there no difference?

Apparently mods are now doing private responses in a Community forum designed for users to share their ideas and experiences 

In the event that your private lesson does not answer your questions, and for the benefit of other forum users that may have similar questions, the link below has some good information.

HDMI vs. Display Port 

1 Rookie

• 

3.2K Posts

According to https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/xps-tower-special-edition/spd/xps-8930-se-desktop

the ports on the discrete graphics card can vary depending upon the graphics card, for the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 the ports are: 1x DisplayPort 1.4, 1x HDMI 2.0b, 1x DVI-D

For the best performance I recommend connecting both monitors to the discrete graphics card. Which ports to use on the graphics card depends upon what type or ports are available on your monitors. Since you mentioned, HDMI, I assume you don't have DisplayPort on any of your monitors. I would connect one monitor to the HDMI port on the graphics card and the other monitor to the DVI port. If your monitor do not have a DVI port, I would connect to the monitor's HDMI port with a HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI adapter to the graphics card.

2.5K Posts

post all you have there all options.? forget the 630 ok? I guess one GPU card inside.

there are vast 2060s made none the same, called derivatives. port options, size, fan counts, ram size and more,

12makers and 10 models  and 10 sub models., are just one 4 digit number is not a card it is SERIES  of product on the the SKU on card matters, for help. or URL to yours. (ive no idea what is there if dell put it there sorry)

what is your intent?

and all monitors. 1,2,3, what?

and how many monitors will connected and what mode and all that.  or daisy CHAINED? DP?

yes the BIOS is set to VIDEO AUTO, and in AUTO the GPU card goes online and the local, iGPU goes OFFLINE.

by design.(BIOS)

the cables are

VGA (15pins) legacy max.

DVI (29pins, 24+ 5 in group 2)  vast. still.

HDMI, 19 pins , both end of shell beveled. , TV users love this.

and DP. 20 pins, and locks, and shell is single end beveled. unlike above. (and some are mini DP)

wiki video cables>?

do not use adapters if wise, I do but have them all and all tested by me, personally)

the 3 second hang, when using what doing what.??? you can google all day on 3 second hangs and get 1million answers. why do that?,tell your symptoms only, forget all others, (computers are complex,  it is a computer)

The top delay on one  post here, topic 1000 posts. ended with last poster (solved) same as first answer. dang.

sleep mode wrong, and wrong driver loaded, sigh. (turn all that off, then test, I repeat ALL)

local lag or only online (Q1) ?

Q2 doing what? actions with what thing? or APP, and Q3 if other things have no lag say what.

No Events found!