May 28th, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930, SSB and HD Two Drive Setup - Usage

New Computer

Dell XPS 8930

i7-9700, 32 GB Ram,  C: 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HD,

Software

W-10 Pro, McAfee Small Business Security

I loaded

Firefox, MS Office Pro 2019, HP Printer Driver, Ifran View (photo editor), Adobe Reader, Quickbooks, Property Blvd (Property Management), and a few other small programs to be added later.

Looking at the drive stats indicate the C: drive has used 77 GB, and the drive has used 131 MB with nothing showing (perhaps a recovery partition).

It's clear that storage space on the C: drive (SSB) will soon become an issue.

Question #1 What software besides the OS need to be on the C: drive and what could be happy on the drive?

Question #2 How to accomplish moving the software? I assume programs would need to be deleted in Windows and reloaded to drive?

Question #3 I'm assuming most data such as documents, pictures, music, downloads, etc. could be located on the drive?

Question #4 How to accomplish all the above? I've talked with Dell Support with the result being somewhat vague, couldn't find any related articles on the Dell site, and would really like to do this correctly.

Has anyone worked through this issue before and are there any articles on how to do this? Could anyone offer appropriate solutions?

Thanks in advance for any help!

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

May 28th, 2020 17:00

"Question #1 What software besides the OS need to be on the C: drive and what could be happy on the D drive?"

The OS needs to be on the C drive and some apps that may not work if loaded on the D drive. All users created data should be happy on the D drive.

"Question #2 How to accomplish moving the software? I assume programs would need to be deleted in Windows and reloaded to D drive?

You can use Windows 10's ability to save content on another drive. Go to 'All settings', Storage, click on 'Change where new content is saved' link (on the right), then change the location where apps, documents, music, photos, etc. are saved. Existing content on C: has to be moved to the new locations, but applications will have to be uninstalled from their current location and reinstall to the new location. Some applications default to being installed on C:. I prefer my applications on C: and 250 GB should be enough unless you are installing games.

"Question 3 ..." see the answer to question 2.

"Question 4 ..." You can Google 'How to change default hard drive windows 10' but some articles have instructions are different because they refer to earlier versions of Windows 10.

May 28th, 2020 15:00

I'm not sure why, but every instance where I typed D drive a frowny face was inserted. Sorry

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 28th, 2020 15:00

The colon : following the Letter D made the faces. 

If you say D drive it doesn't do that.

Easiest fix is to update the SSD by cloning it to a bigger SSD.

Only the Boot OS needs to be on the Boot Drive.

All programs and data files will have to be on the 2nd drive.

What model dell do you have and what is the ssd model?

July 23rd, 2020 11:00

I appreciate your input as with your instructions I was able to muddle through a workable solution.

Previously to searching the community I called Dell Support twice and they weren't much help. The answers were very generic and non-committal. One said he would get back to me, but that didn't occur.

I am disappointed however that there isn't a knowledge-base article covering the issue for those that aren't super computer literate. Perhaps someone from Dell could rectify the lack of directions?

I am very pleased with the computer, but support for this issue left me wanting.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 12:00

Looking at the drive stats indicate the C: drive has used 77 GB, and the drive has used 131 MB with nothing showing (perhaps a recovery partition).

It's clear that storage space on the C: drive (SSB) will soon become an issue.

===============

What "issue" ? As you are done loading OS, programs, and Apps ... 77-GB free is plenty of free space.

Even hundreds of docs, pics, and data-files aren't really gonna change that much.

On D-Drive (Storage), create folders Videos, Music, Backups and use them when needed.

No Events found!