Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2020 08:00

XPS 8930, Sleep/Hibernate Fail

Just recently I’ve found that my XPS will not stay in sleep or hibernation mode.  If I shutdown by going to sleep mode, it will turn itself back on in about 2 - 3 minutes.  Power button pulses as if in sleep mode, but then power button goes solid on and machine turns on and my work (IE pages and etc.) are not saved. 

If I shutdown by going to hibernation mode, same thing happens.  I’ve tried all manner of setups using advanced power settings and no luck.  Went to recommended (balanced) settings and selected restore plan defaults, same problem. 

Desktop has worked for a year or more fine and now this.  Thoughts?Sleep/Hibernation Fail.

31 Posts

July 16th, 2020 20:00

Disabling the Killer controller solved the problem, but I didn't want to be stuck using the WiFi connection.  Research showed a Killer Networking solution.   

PC Wakes From Sleep Unexpectedly

https://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/pc-wakes-from-sleep-unexpectedly/

• 

17K Posts

July 7th, 2020 09:00

cyberan,

Has the system done any windows updates prior to this happening?
Check the power settings.
Check the power settings of your computer
Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog box.
Type ms-settings:powersleep -> press Enter.
Inside the Power & Sleep window -> select Additional power settings.
Within the Power Options menu -> click on Choose what the power buttons do.
Change the values for each of these options – When I press the power button to Sleep, When I press the sleep button,
Click on Save changes.

31 Posts

July 7th, 2020 11:00

computer worked fine since purchase a year ago or so.  As stated, all settings are at default (although I've tried others).  Allow Hybrid Sleep is enabled (as suggested somewhere else).  Trouble started about a week or so ago.  

ms-settings:powersleep  Sends me to the same dialog as settings/power&sleep/additional power settings.  been there, done that.

When I press the power button to Sleep, When I press the sleep button,
Click on Save changes.  ???  I don't want (and never have) used the power button to engage sleep mode.  I always use the start button to access shutdown with the choices being sleep/hibernate/restart/shutdown.

31 Posts

July 7th, 2020 11:00

MS has installed Security Intelligence Updates for MS Defender on the following dates.

6/30  7/1  7/3 (3)  7/4   7/5   7/6 (3)

They've been busy.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

July 7th, 2020 12:00

What model Dell computer do you have? What OS and OS version are you running?

31 Posts

July 7th, 2020 16:00

XPS 8930  64 bit system  WIN10  1909

Just to repeat.  This XPS 8930 has been working great ever since purchase (more than a year ago).  Only within the last 2 weeks or so has the problem arisen.  Evidently others have been having this problem.  Non Dell suggestions such as disabling fast startup and wake timers have been tried. 

It has been suggested that besides the network adapter, some piece of hardware is waking the machine.  Suggestion is to use CMD to identify hardware possibilities.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

I will try later.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 7th, 2020 17:00

In the BIOS, disable "Intel Ready Mode Technology"

In Windows, uninstall the "Intel Ready Mode Technology" App.

Yes, you can then reset/fix Power-Profile with proper powercfg commands .

31 Posts

July 8th, 2020 11:00

After browsing the Web, the following seems of interest.  Although my problem hasn't been listed, many are reporting problems with Win 10 version 1909 and Update KB4535996.  In my case, I have not had not problems when 1909 was installed and I do not have KB4535996 installed.  

Intel Ready Mode Technology description  --   It adds a background controller service that is set to automatically run. Delaying the start of this service is possible through the service manager. The software installer includes 28 files and is usually about 6.3 MB (6,602,752 bytes). isctsoftwareupdate.dll is the automatic update component of the software designed to download and apply new updates should new versions be released.

This isn't something that I'm willing to eliminate.  I'm especially not willing to play with the BIOS.  At the present time, the sleep/hibernate/power off functions all restart the computer.  My computer shows that Win 10 Version 2004 is not available now, but will be coming soon.  So I'll live without the Windows power options and see what happens with MS.

31 Posts

July 8th, 2020 19:00

Started Windows and got a message that Windows did not load.  Notice gave me options.  Two of which were choices of uninstall quality update or uninstall feature update.  Not knowing the difference, I choose feature.  This update failed so I tried the quality uninstall which completed.  Not sure what exactly was uninstalled.  No change in clearing my power problem.  Shortly after, Windows automatically downloaded cumulative update for 1909  2020-06.  No change.

Based on previous identification of possible interrupters, I did a WAG and disabled the Killer E2400 Ethernet controller.  So far this action has stopped the power up action in sleep mode.  Before the power up would happen in 2 – 3 minutes, Now after 2 hours, no power up.  Will continue to monitor and see what happens.  

31 Posts

July 10th, 2020 08:00

Still working.  Bad Killer!

2 Posts

December 21st, 2020 06:00

Hi @cyberanvil, I have the same problem and today is the 4th day contacting the support assist. I don't think they have a solution. They asked me to hard reset, disabling my hibernate mode and update and scan the system with support assist without a conclusion. How about yours now? is it already better? I follow the solution to disable the killer something, but the problem persists, maybe I need to disable all of the adapter in that options. 

31 Posts

December 21st, 2020 11:00

Been awhile.  I went to the listed Killer Networking site and downloaded what was supposed to be a fix.  Still seems to be working.

31 Posts

December 21st, 2020 12:00

Just to add, by disabling all Killer adapter functions, my problem was solved.  But then I could only connect computer using Blue Tooth.  Not what I wanted and so I used the link as I provided and everything is working fine.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

November 30th, 2023 08:53

Greetings,

Just for the benefit of people new to this problem.

The solution I found was to open killer ethernet device properties in device manager and disable allow this device to wake the computer in power management tab.

So no need to disable the killer ethernet adapter.

(edited)

No Events found!