Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

2 Posts

May 1st, 2020 14:00

XPS 8930 booting incredibly slow, gets error code when finally booting

Spoiler
 I have a user that cannot boot her XPS 8930 without receiving the attached error message (2000-0723, validation 100237).  I ran on-board diagnostics,The but everything checked out fine.  The PC also seems to hang on Dell logo during boot which is a recent development.  I thought perhaps to try updating the BIOS to ver 1.1.13 (currently on 1.1.3), but any attempt to do so is met with an error stating "AMI BIOS Guard feature disabled".  Any help would be immensely appreciated!  Thanks!
 I have a user that cannot boot her XPS 8930 without receiving the attached error message (2000-0723, validation 100237).  I ran on-board diagnostics,The but everything checked out fine.  The PC also seems to hang on Dell logo during boot which is a recent development.  I thought perhaps to try updating the BIOS to ver 1.1.13 (currently on 1.1.3), but any attempt to do so is met with an error stating "AMI BIOS Guard feature disabled".  Any help would be immensely appreciated!  Thanks!

20200501_164357.jpg

20200501_164255.jpg

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

May 1st, 2020 15:00

We won't see your images until the moderators approve them, even though you can see them now..

2000-0723 = Hard Drive – Drive error detected.

• Turn off your computer and make sure the hard drive connection is good (see your service manual for instructions).
  • Repeat the PSA diagnostics.
  • When the diagnostics still results in an error code, visit our ePSA online tool. You can get more information on possible resolutions to your issue and even get a part dispatched if needed.

If none of the above helps, try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (Time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  6. Close up and connect only mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot

And if that doesn't help, disconnect the boot drive (HDD or SSD?) and reboot and see if you get as far as a new error, eg "no boot device found", or simiilar

I won't try updating BIOS when the PC won't boot. That could be a shortcut to turning it into a useless brick.

7 Technologist

• 

10.5K Posts

May 1st, 2020 19:00

hard drive error?  does your Dell logo come on screen and disappear normally during POST?  if yes it is your OS boot that is stalling, correct?  I do not trust Dell SupportAssist, but if OS loading is an issue, I would just do a clean install of Windows 10 OS on the hdd to start with a clean slate, unless you have important files on HDD that you need to back up first.

10 Posts

March 16th, 2023 17:00

I have the same problem with the AMI Bios Guard error. I have tried the USB boot. I have run diagnostics with no issue found. I have unplugged the computer and removed the motherboard battery and replaced it. Same error immediately each time.  

Any ultimate luck with figuring this out?

10 Posts

March 16th, 2023 18:00

XPS8930 i9 win10

Have tried the USB with both the .exe and .rcv file on it.  Tried the flash option with USB: No difference, but I selected the .exe file - don't remember seeing the .rcv.  SHould I only load the .rcv on the stick?

I have not tried the Bios recovery tool but will certainly start getting up to speed on it.

Thanks for your interest in helping.  I am very frustrated at this point.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 16th, 2023 18:00

@badger55  What PC model?

Have you tried doing a BIOS Recovery, type 3? You need a USB stick with the .rcv file (not the .exe file) for this PC's BIOS on it

10 Posts

March 16th, 2023 19:00

Thanks so  much for the detailed background.  As soon as I select the file and start the flash bios I immediately receive a message:  "AMI BIOS Guard Feature disabled".. That is all and not explanation of an actual error.

10 Posts

I tried using the .rcv on the USB stick. Did not show up when I tried the flash bios option.  I looked in all three options of FS0, FS1 and FS2.

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

@badger55  Let's back up... Do you get an actual AMI BIOS Guard error message like any of the ones listed here? I have vague recollection that another user with an AMI BIOS Guard error found it was a RAM problem. So try reseating each RAM module in its slot, or maybe try them one at a time in 2nd slot from CPU to see if you can stop that error message.

The .exe file on the USB stick is used to upgrade (or downgrade) a working BIOS. The .rcv file is only used to recover BIOS when the installed version isn't working.  Do you know what version of BIOS is installed? No guarantees a BIOS Recovery will run while there's an AMI BIOS Guard error, or if it will be successful.

The latest XPS 8930 BIOS is v1.1.29 and there's a link to download the BIOS Recovery Image File on that page.  (Note: when you read the BIOS Recovery page I linked above, you'll see the .rcv file is identical to the .exe file, but just with a different file name. So you could rename the .exe file, but you have to rename it exactly as indicated on the BIOS Recovery instructions page or it won't work.)

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 17th, 2023 12:00

Did you reseat the RAM?

The .rcv file is ignored when you use the F12 flash update option.

Read the instructions at the link I posted to run a BIOS Recovery. Plug a USB with only the .rcv file on it into PC with power fully off. Then power on and immediately press/hold both Ctrl and Esc keys at same time until keyboard backlight comes on up (eg, Num lock key and/or Cap lock LED blink). Then release both keys and wait for the Recovery screen to open.

If the Recovery doesn't launch, power off, unplug power cable from rear of PC. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC and try to launch the Recovery again.

10 Posts

March 17th, 2023 14:00

Thanks again.  I have tried following the instructions explicitly. However, each time the keyboard lights up and that is that - no blinking.  The system just rolls right past the Dell screen to the Windows login. I did unplug and hold power button prior.  I am using the front usb ports. Does that matter?

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 17th, 2023 17:00

@badger55   - What I meant is keyboard LEDs blink on (eg Cap lock LED) and then off once, just like they would when you boot normally.

Needs to be a USB2 stick. 2-GB is a good size, bigger might not work. It has to be formatted FAT32. The BIOS_IMG.rcv file has to be in the root directory of that USB stick.

Front USB ports should be fine.

Are you pressing Ctrl+Esc fast enough when you power PC on, both at same time, then holding them until you see the keyboard LEDs? Don't wait to see anything on the monitor before you press the two keys.

Do you have an add-in video card or only onboard Intel Graphics?  If you have an add-in video card, is monitor connected to the card? What type port on PC and on monitor?

I assume you used the .rcv file for BIOS 1.1.29 that I linked above.  You might try the 1.1.26 .rcv file since they've entirely removed BIOS 1.1.28 from the support site. 

10 Posts

March 18th, 2023 16:00

Hi Ron:  I am using a USB 3 and it is 32 GB.  The file is stored in the root.  Thanks for the front port confirmation as okay.  I am pressing both the esc and Cntrl keys immediately after pressing the power button. Since I have a hard time seeing the key board lights blink on, I have held those two keys until the Dell logo appears. Which I guess is way longer than needed but doubt that is my problem.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650. PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0.  The port I attach to is HDMI.

My current bios is 1.1.18 so I am trying 1.1.19 and also tried 1.1.20. The .rcv files are obtained directly from the Dell site so no renaming errors should be an issue (They look correct as well).

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 18th, 2023 17:00

Using a 32 GB USB3 stick for either a BIOS update or a BIOS Recovery may explain your problems. 

You have to use a USB2 stick that's 2- or 4-GB, possibly 8-GB, max. And it must be formatted FAT32. 

10 Elder

• 

43.8K Posts

March 19th, 2023 18:00

See, I told ya to use a 2-GB USB! LOL! 

You never told us whether you have add-in GPU or only onboard Intel Graphics, and what type port you're using on PC side and on monitor.

You could try clearing BIOS now that 1.1.19 is installed. Power off, unplug cord from rear of PC, press/hold...remove motherboard battery...press/hold, reinstall battery. Then try a Flash Update from the F12 menu, not a Recovery.

NOTE: You don't have to install BIOS updates sequentially. So maybe now try 1.1.26 or latest, 1.1.29.

If you still can't update...

• Is Load Legacy Option ROM enabled or disabled in BIOS setup?
    Change to opposite setting, save the change and try to F12 Flash update again.
  • Did you ever set a BIOS (Admin) password?
  • It's possible Windows Update can update to BIOS 1.1.29 via UEFI Capsule Updates, so make sure that's enabled in BIOS setup (enabled is the default, but confirm).
    Then open the Windows Update screen and click the link for "Optional Updates".  At least on my XPS 8930, WU is offering 1.1.29. So if it's offered to you, check the box and launch the update. No guarantees...

Or, maybe just leave things alone now that 1.1.19 is installed. The more you try to do this, the more the chances of turning your PC into a useless doorstop.

10 Posts

March 19th, 2023 18:00

Thanks again.  I actually found an old 2 Gb USB and formatted it FAT32.  It did work! Yay.  However, I am now stuck at 1.1.19.   The same process will not work for 1.1.20.  I reformatted the USB. Loaded the new rcv file. Shutdown the system, unplugged, held the on button for 30 seconds. Then replugged, hit the power and immediately held the cntl + esc.  About the time the led lights came on the keyboard, the Dell logo shows up and goes into the normal boot to windows. Cannot get it to work again.  By the way, I did also try flash booting using the .exe file as well. Same problem as before: just tells me there is an AMI BIOS guard feature disabled.

No Events found!