Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2022 02:00

XPS 8930, external speakers stopped working

After getting 3 problems solved with my 8930, see:

XPS-8930-what-does-EP-EXCEPTION-SUB-HEADER 

I just noticed today that my external speakers (or any other speakers) stopped working.  This is after three days of solving the problems referenced in the thread above.

Apparently someone else had a similar problem back in Mar 2021 and there was no solution.

External-speakers-not-working 

When clicking on one of the speakers the display shows little waves to represent sound.  I get the waves on both speakers but they don't work (no sound from any of the speakers).

When I unplug my speakers from the back of my computer, I get a buzzing feedback noise in all my speakers, which indicates that they still function.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Here is a screen capture of my speaker test.

Speaker-Test.jpg

40 Posts

September 17th, 2022 16:00

I checked the software settings.  The output was selected for the correct output device  "Realtek".

1a. I was concerned about the Realtek driver as being the problem.  I was going to investigate it to see if I needed an even earlier version.

1b. I only used System Restore one time,  however, I ended up letting it run all night.  I figured it was going to crash my system, but it didn't.  The Welcome Screen was displayed when I came back to it in the morning.

At any rate, I have solved the problem.

In my searching, I discovered that there are other "troubleshooters" available in Windows 10.  If you don't have problems that often, you don't find answers.

8930 Additional Trouble Shooters.jpg

I went to Updates > Troubleshoot > Additional Troubleshooters > Playing Audio.  Ran the Troubleshooter and it fixed my speaker problem.  I was amazed, I haven't had much luck with Windows Troubleshooters.

I don't know what the troubleshooter did, but in checking all other locations for tests, the speakers work.  YEA!.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

40 Posts

September 17th, 2022 02:00

My System Info:

System.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2022 09:00

@jmallard wrote:

When I unplug my speakers from the back of my computer, I get a buzzing feedback noise in all my speakers, which indicates that they still function.

Not sure I would make that assumption.

You can check your analog speakers (with 3.5mm plug) on another computer, MP3 player, etc.

Sounds like you have your Sound-Output set to the incorrect one.

40 Posts

September 17th, 2022 12:00

Thanks for your response.

The sound output was the first thing I checked.  It is still plugged into the same slot as always, has been for over 2 years.  

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2022 14:00

@jmallard wrote:

The sound output was the first thing I checked.  It is still plugged into the same slot as always, has been for over 2 years.  

I'm talking about software-settings. Near the Windows Volume-Control or Control-Panel/Sound.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2022 14:00

@jmallard wrote:

1. I just noticed today that my external speakers (or any other speakers) stopped working.  This is after three days of solving the problems referenced in the thread above.

2. Apparently someone else had a similar problem back in Mar 2021 and there was no solution.

External-speakers-not-working 

1a. Maybe those new Realtek drivers are not as good as you thought?
1b. Or all those System Restores messed-up something (I know I never use that facility).

2. If you read closely, their problem were that the speakers were plugged-in (but not detected ... for whatever reason) so Sound output was being sent to the monitor.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 17th, 2022 17:00

@jmallard  -You may still want to check how Waves MaxxAudio Pro, which XPS 8930 uses as its audio control panel, is seeing your speakers, as I posted in your other thread.

Waves has a nasty habit of thinking external speakers are "internal" speakers, so while they may work, they can sound really awful.

Waves is bundled with the Realtek audio driver for XPS 8930. So everything you install a new Realtek driver (or roll back to a previous one, as you recently did), Waves gets uninstalled along with the existing driver and then gets reinstalled after another Realtek driver bundle for XPS 8930 is installed. That means Waves loses all its existing settings and has to be configured again.

Been there, done that, every time a new Realtek audio driver bundle for XPS 8930 gets force installed by Windows Update...

40 Posts

September 17th, 2022 21:00

Ron,

How short my memory is...

I completely forgot about your information on the Waves MaxxAudio Pro and Realtek.

Since the troubleshooter fixed the problem, I didn't do any further. 

I am going to follow the Waves instruction right now and I'll let you know the results.

Thank Again..

Jerry

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 17th, 2022 22:00

@jmallard wrote:

At any rate, I have solved the problem.

I don't know what the troubleshooter did, but in checking all other locations for tests, the speakers work.  YEA!.

You are doing good ... taking care of the little problems that appear (before they turn-into big problems).

Yes, I've also seen various Windows Troubleshooters actually work over the years, so good work thinking to try that. Yeah, hard to say what it did ... but it's usually a proven script (like from MSDN) to fix-up a particular Windows section. Maybe something like clear a Registry-entry, replace a file, run a command ... stuff like that.

40 Posts

September 17th, 2022 22:00

Well, I followed Ron's instructions and now my speakers don't work again.

My Waves MaxxAudio did not respond like it was supposed to..

Waves MaxxAudio.jpg

When I clicked the best option for my speakers (LRC - I think it was, Left-Right-Center).  That's what I have, left-right-center (floor woofer).  I clicked on OK and opened the control center, turned on the Equalizer.  The "Select Output Device" stayed at "Select Internal Speakers", clicking on it offered no further options.  "Advanced" stated, "Show pop-u dialog when device is connected". 

Tested speakers and nothing works again. 

I guess I can wait until you or Ron responds before I try to run the troubleshooter again to see if that will fix the problem again.

Thanks again for the help.

Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 18th, 2022 13:00

I hate Waves..!

Is Windows Sound Output Device still set to Realtek?

Did you try adjusting the speaker volume at bottom of Waves control panel? If I set the volume there as low as it is in the image you posted, I don't hear my speakers at all....

Do your speakers work if you click the Sound Test icon at lower right corner of the Waves Control Panel, even if Waves thinks they're internal speakers?

If your L/R/C speakers all use one single plug to connect all 3 to PC, are they plugged into #8 on rear of PC?  If C has its own separate plug, it should be plugged into #10 after L/R are plugged into #8.

Did you fully power PC off and disconnect all speakers, then power on and wait until you're back at the desktop to plug in? If you have 2 separate plugs, plug L/R into #8 and wait for Waves to ask. And only then plug C into #10 and wait for Waves again.

And one more setting to check. Search for" Turn mono audio on or off" (without the quotes) from Win 10 Start button. Open that screen and make sure mono is off. It may be on by default...

I've battled with Waves thinking my external desktop speakers are internal, and it's not a uncommon problem....

40 Posts

September 18th, 2022 14:00

Ron,

YES, I hate Waves...to!

I have completed all the tasks stated in your message above.  No sound at all. 

I only have one single plug to connect all 3 of my speakers to the PC.  My woofer plugs into the right speaker (which also has the a volume and balance knob and on-off button and a line to the left speaker).  My single speaker plug goes into #8 on the rear of the PC.

The only thing new was the "Turn mono audio on or off",  which was turned off.

The Waves display has never shown anything but "Internal Speakers" and there was never an option of anything else when clicked on.  However, I've only checked that display with the speakers aren't working.

Let me know if you have any more suggestions. 

Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 18th, 2022 15:00

Only listing internal speakers is typical when Waves is misbehaving.

Can you plug in the L/R speakers without the woofer connected? After Waves pops up and you select the best option, look at the Waves control panel to see what it says and if speakers work now. If they're
"external" and working, close the control panel and plug woofer into right speaker and see if Waves pops up again, etc.

I guess you could run the troubleshooter again and see what Waves says about the speakers, assuming they work now.

It's also possible the driver roll-back wasn't fully successful.  You might want to right-click and uninstall the Realtek driver in Device Manager and then uninstall Waves using Revo Uninstaller (free). Allow Revo to create a System Restore point. And when Revo shows you screens with "leftovers" marked in Bold, delete those items on each of those screens. Do not delete anything Revo marks in red. Then reboot PC.

Then download and install Realtek driver v6.0.1.8248, which is one version earlier than what you're using now. It should install both the driver and Waves again. Reboot and start over with speakers unplugged until after you get to desktop.

Isn't this fun...?

40 Posts

September 18th, 2022 16:00

I did the L/R speakers without the woofer and then added it after Waves popped up.  Made no difference and Waves did not pop up again.  Still showed "Internal Speakers", but they didn't work.

I did run the troubleshooter again, an again it fixed the problem, after the reboot, the speakers are working just fine again.  I checked Waves and it still shows "Internal Speakers", but the "test" button works.  I suppose I could play around with the EQ Profiles and see if I notice any difference in the sound that I hear. 

I don't really know if it's worth it to go to the trouble of going to Realtek driver v6.0.1.8248 and going through the other stuff.  The speakers sound o.k. to me as is.

I should point out that my hearing is not all that good.  I have had to wear hearing aids for the past several years.  Too much loud music, I played in a band for 20 years and own 7 guitars and 3 amps and I shot on the pistol and rifle team in the USAF for 7 years.  I also shot for many years after I retired and still do.

I very seldom wear headphones anymore, too much trouble with the hearing aids.

What do you think - leave it as is.

Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 19th, 2022 11:00

Up to you to decide to leave it alone or go further.  If it sounds ok to you, that's probably a good place to leave things.

Lest I be redundant, I hate Waves..!

And thanks for your USAF service...

No Events found!