Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

18 Posts

January 4th, 2020 15:00

XPS 8930, i9/64GB ram/ SSD only/RTX 2070, slow out of the box

I received a New XPS 8930 and it is been slow out the box. Comparing it to my 2 year old i7 / 32GB ram / SSD only / GTX 1060 video - that has some big Windows issues. I could take this unit down so I ordered a new computer and figured I would just limp the old computer along until I got the new computer up and running then restore the old computer.
Specs:

Killer AX1650 (2x2) built on Intel WiFi 6 + Bluetooth 5.0 Driver
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6
9th Gen Intel Core i9-9900 (8-Core, 16MB Cache, up to 5GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)
Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) and Bluetooth 5.0
M.2 1TB PCIe x4 SSD

But wow this is thing is slow for the power it has. The i7 is just as fast with all the Windows issues it has. When the i7 was OK, this i9 is quarter of the speed of the i7.

Yep, I have updated both Windows and Dell update.  

Yep checked for any viruses.

Per online, I have removed the Killer app and only installed the Killer drivers, reading that Killer NIC is poor at best.
The computer will not put the monitor to sleep. Yep, I have it sent to 1 min and it has NEVER put the monitor to sleep. I have removed all USB devices / turned on off Blue Tooth same results.

The mouse will freeze for about a min from time to time.
When moving large files to the NAS, the best I get is 20MB on the NIC.

When moving files from Dropbox to the HD, 2MB is the best and only happens about 10% of the time most the time it is below 1MB on the NIC. And it pauses a lot. Cannot properly calculate the time. etc.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions?

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 5th, 2020 06:00

you need to learn how W10 works as an OS !

out of the box OOBD (experience)

learn that new, the PC needs to do 1 to 3 things (let it) stand back, even turn it on at night, internet connected

and go to bed and sleep. Then next day try again, not complain day 1 hour 1.

1: w10 will need to index, files. let it.

2: w10 will want to do updates. (seems endless, and is, and worse is dell assistant. I nuke the last.)

3: dell apps bloated will want to do updates. (all apps really until you shut em off)

let it.

then learn to use TASK manager and see how the CPU and RAM are loading up, or even overloading.

what does slow mean? ,  just mouse lag, nor did you tell use your using stinking wifi, nor your router nor your ISP connection speeds  nor the real  internet speed test.(google it) use ETHERNET ONLY. then judge oK?

first turn off SLEEP , all sleep off in CP power settings,  and set same thing for CPU to PERFORMANCE only

see it is fast. next.

there is post here with 500 posts for slow

the 2nd post told them to turn off sleep and performance  full on.

then on the last post they admitted all along sleep was NOT OFF. sad no?

Turn off all ENGERY STAR features,.  and sleep and set performance to max, then show task manager screens when slow.  win /win.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 5th, 2020 07:00

lets do slow: (internet not even connected in fact turn off wifi  and test for slow , just the PC only. not www)

• mouse lag, just it.????
  • keyboard goes dead, and mouse, ( #1 is sleep on USB ports) #2 is infection but not on new PC)
  • apps run slow or are slow to launch.?
  • is CP slow when you click control panel with SSD the CP launches 10x faster than HDD, does it?always.
  • Task Manager fails to launch or is slow. is It, Control + alt + del key (all at once must work) if this is slow the CPU is 100% overload or is stuck silly sleep mode, as all do OOBE, (by law, by law forces MS  do that)!!
  • Energy star bull, turn that all OFF.  create custom Profile In CP power page, and turn all that sleep off then turn on CPU full performance  !!!! read this.
  • that is about it on new PCs, the sleep modes are deep and some times I use no sleep apps to cure , 1click.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

January 5th, 2020 07:00

if wise, you can prove all that, in 1 step, make LINUX free live demo mode, boot media, say to USB stick

boot the stick see PC runs at full speed. (amazing no?)

proving its a 100% windows problem, easy as pie.

then learn to turn off all the SLEEP and speedstep junk, and test the PC In full performance modes.

see it does work, well that is, if window is not doing a major update , sigh.

The USA gov;. mandates all this stuff, turn it all off. (turn off the green or learn to wait)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 10:00

@brvoltz    . . . and it is been slow out the box.

I have the i9-9900K, GTX 1080, 64 GB RAM & 2TB M.2 SSD . . . and my computer is super fast. You should be able to get your computer speeding along too. Follow the suggestions of @savvy2  and read other threads in this forum, as others have had similar issues.

Let us know how your efforts are progressing.

18 Posts

January 5th, 2020 11:00

Mouse can lag, not all the time.

keyboard never goes dead

Apps are slow to run and lauch compared to the i7 box

Control panel is always available..

Task manager is always available...

Boot time in around 2mins (compared to the i7 at around 10 seconds.) so we are clear they are both have same apps, as the i9 is to replace the i7...

I will read the full performance, but I did go into advance right away and turn everything to full power... the ONLY thing I have sleep on is the monitor and that does not work on the i9 box...

18 Posts

LINUX free live demo... I have no idea how to do this... but I will figure it out....

18 Posts

I have done everyone one of these things... all updates applied. Power is set to full, blot is removed... well all but the Dell apps...

I"m talking about the local installed apps, design software I use, excel etc... not web...  

I had the computer for a week before I posted, it runs around the clock. I do not use WIFI on it..

The 1 difference I have on the new I9 is because of Bluetooth 5.0 I added Killer (I have even disabled all Killer drivers on device manager and this box is slower then the i7 2 year box.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 5th, 2020 13:00

A boot time of two minutes is much too long. My XPS 8910 with an i7, 32GB, and SSD boots to the Dell logo in 9-10 seconds from Power On and to the Windows 10 Start screen in 24-25 seconds from Power On. Two minutes is what I would expect with a hard disk not a SSD. Since your system is slow I would start the investigation with the SSD.

After the system is booted, I would look at Task Manager (Performance tab) to see what has high utilization. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 5th, 2020 15:00

For the random mouse lags, disable (or uninstall) Dell SupportAssist, SupportAssist Remediation Service and Dell Update.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 5th, 2020 15:00

If machine passes ePSA, there is a 90% chance your hardware is fine. Better specs might help us help-you. What NVMe-SSD do you have (and are you absolutely sure you are booting from it). Who knows, maybe you have Oplame Optane instead. What is this aftermarket-memory ?

For software (Windows) yes ... drivers, removing un-needed and bloated driver-suites ... all good idea (good work). But how about :
- a Process-Explorer screen-shot
- a Windows Reliability Report
- Crystal Disk-Mark
- CPUid's HW-Monitor 

In absence of all that, my guess it that your over-loaded XPS-8930 is over-heating and thermal-throttling, like this one.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-upgrading-fan-which-thermal-paste-to-use/td-p/7441209

Less talk, more actual troubleshooting ... would likely be a step in the right direction. 

18 Posts

January 10th, 2020 06:00

I have removed all the dell support software... this did help the mouse issues.. but the speed issue is still the case... I was able to restore the I7 to windows 10 only and remove all the blot software... it is clearly is faster then new i9 computer.

Dell support has been trying to resolve this but it it is very clear they grasping for ideas.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

January 10th, 2020 09:00

I know what worked for me. Type services.msc in the Windows search box. Look for Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service. Right click on it and select Properties. Make note of the properties in case you ever want to go back. STOP the service, Change from Automatic Delayed to Disabled. Reboot and enjoy your freeze free mouse.

Those Dell services are made to make the Box conform to what Dell thinks it should have as far as updates etc. You might find some of those features (Dell Update, etc.) Don't work anymore. Don't worry, you can always turn it back on.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

January 10th, 2020 10:00

@brvoltz Have you done what @Tesla1856 and I suggested, use Process Explorer or Task Manager to see what tasks are using a lot of system resources? Is your system still taking 2 minutes to boot up to Windows? Have you run the Windows 10 System File Checker tool?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 10th, 2020 11:00

Do I understand correctly that you only have an SSD, and no HDD?

Which SSD do you have and does it have its latest firmware update? There are a bunch of firmware updates  listed for the various brands/models of SSDs that Dell may have installed in the XPS 8930.

The updates for Toshiba SSDs say: "Enhancements: - Improved the performance of the solid-state drive (SSD) on new processors."

The update for the Micron SSD that's in my XPS 8930 (i7) says: "Fixed solid-state drive firmware algorithm to prevent the system from entering an unresponsive state."

So if you don't already have the latest SSD firmware, look into that as a potential way to improve your system's performance. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully when you launch the firmware update. The Micron update did take longer than I expected, but it worked ok, not that I'm noticing any major improvements, except to say the Windows Reliability Index has improved from ~5 to ~9, if that's a measure of anything...

18 Posts

January 11th, 2020 10:00

Maybe someone else can read this and see if I'm on the current firmware version... the readme seem to be a little unclear for me...

Per the readme: (I'm doing this step BEFORE running the update..) to see if it is current...

"5. To confirm that the firmware update was successful, open Device manager -> open Disk Drives-> Select SSDPEKKF256G8, SSDPEKKF512G8 or SSDPEKKF010T8 -> right-click and select Properties -> choose Hardware Ids under Details and check the firmware version."

On my machine:

SSD Firmware version.JPG

No Events found!