Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 4th, 2018 06:00

XPS 8930, no boot w/ 32GB RAM

I just got an XPS 8930 i7-8700 with 2 x 8GB (16GB) RAM. I swapped out the 2 sticks and put in 4 x 8GB (32GB) Ballistix DDR4-2666 1.2v and the system would not pass POST - I get 4 flashes of the LED: Memory or RAM Failure.

I removed 2 of the Ballistix sticks: boots fine.

I replaced them with the other 2 Ballistix sticks: boots fine.

I put the original 2 sticks in (that came with the system, they are Micron) so now I have 2 x Ballistix and 2 x original (32GB) mixed: boots fine.

I just can't get past the POST with all 4 Ballistix sticks installed.

I'd appreciate any suggestions / ideas?  Power supply not up to par?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 4th, 2018 10:00

That's odd.  Crucial memory is what we usually recommend for non-Dell branded memory as it is one brand that is guaranteed to work in a Dell.  There are some brands that are iffy and some that won't work at all. 

Power off the PC and install all of the Crucial memory. Then, while its powered down to install the RAM, clear the CMOS memory (BIOS).  There may be jumpers to do that but the best way is to remove the CR2032 coin cell battery for 10 minutes.  Reinstall the battery then power on the PC and see if this helps.  I recall having to do this once on a customer's PC (wasn't a Dell).

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

September 4th, 2018 11:00

Did you try the other two Ballistix sticks with the two original Micron sticks? In other words all combinations of Ballistix memory sticks. Just curious but if your goal is 32 GB of memory why 4 Ballistix sticks when 2 was enough. I would also run CPU-Z to check memory speed and whether or not you are running in dual channel mode.

36 Posts

September 4th, 2018 11:00

@FireBrd

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still doesn't work.

I installed a new, higher watt power supply and that made no difference either.

36 Posts

September 4th, 2018 12:00

@Vic384

All the sticks are 8GB (2 x original and 4 x Ballistix.)  I wanted to use all 4 of the Ballistix and not mix them, but that doesn't work.  In any case, to get 32GB, I need 4 of what I currently have and the only combination that works is a mix of the 2 originals and 2 of the Ballistix.

Yes, any combination of 2 of the Ballistix and the original 2 works.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 4th, 2018 12:00

Crucial guarantees their RAM will work if they recommended it for a specific PC model, or they'll take it back. So maybe you should contact them directly.

And maybe you should send one pair back for a full refund and just use the 2 original and 2 new...?

No Events found!