Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

February 21st, 2023 06:00

XPS 8930, slow upload speeds, Ethernet port

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

All of a sudden, I am getting very slow upload speeds when using the ethernet cable (0.65 mbps), but normal speeds (10-11 mbps) when using wifi.  I have narrowed the problem down to the PC, not the router/modem.  On this PC, is the ethernet port part of the mother board?  All the drivers are updated.  I have a Killer E2400 GB Ethernet Controller and Qualcomm QCA9377 802.11AC wireless adapter.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2023 18:00

FYI - Windows Update force-installed an Intel Software Component and an Intel Software Extension on the XPS 8930 in the last ~1-2 weeks, both for Killer internet.

They made the Killer E2400 Ethernet on my XPS 8930 slow to a crawl again. They enabled all the Killer and xTend junk listed in services.msc and the Killer Control Center on Startup tab in Task Manager, which I had previously disabled.

So I disabled all of them, and then changed the Startup tab in Task Manager to disable KCC from loading at boot. Rebooted and back to full Ethernet speed again.

I'm so fed up with this Windows Update nonsense that I disabled the option to let WU install "manufacturers' apps and icons".

For Win 10, type Advanced system settings in Start>Search, open it, click Hardware tab > Device Installation Settings > select NO. Then reboot. Probably similar in Win 11.

There's also another way to block WU from installing driver updates using the group policy editor (gpedit.msc), if the above doesn't stop WU from installing stuff we don't want/need. gpedit.msc is only available in Pro versions of Win 10 and 11, but not in Home versions.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

February 21st, 2023 06:00

The Ethernet port is in fact part of the MB. Have you tried another CAT  6/7 cable? Also uninstall all Killer software leaving the driver and only the driver. If none of that helps, you can install a PCIe Ethernet card available at sites such as Amazon here or here.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

February 21st, 2023 14:00

I have tried a different cable.  Will uninstalling Killer Intelligence Center and Killer Ethernet Performance Driver Suite UWD, the only references to Killer that I can find, have any unintended consequences?

Thanks

57 Posts

February 23rd, 2023 16:00

This just happened to me a few days ago. I also have an 8930, and my upload speed was very slow...like .01 Mbps or something. Download speed was normal, about 550 Mbps. I went into services and disabled everything Killer. After that my upload speed was normal.

This happened a few months ago and I went into settings, apps and uninstalled all the Killer bloatware. This also worked, but Windows reinstalled the Killer stuff. So if you just disable it in services you should be ok.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2023 16:00

I also had the same issue.  Trying to upload about 900MB of data was indicating it would take 3-4 hours.  I was also having issues with how certain web pages would load.  I turned on VPN and that cleared the problems but caused other issues.  Switched to WIFI (no VPN) and that was faster than ethernet (normal speeds).  Did about 2 weeks of troubleshooting including contacting my internet provider and Dell Support - both no help.  Today in the Killer Intelligence Center I disabled the prioritization engine and auto bandwidth.  About the same time there was also a driver update though I don't think that helped.  At any rate, back on ethernet with normal speeds.  The problem just started for some reason and I don't know why as I didn't change anything prior to today.  But it worked for me.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

February 25th, 2023 06:00

I uninstalled the Killer Intelligence Center from the Start/Programs list, and uninstalled the Killer E2400 GB Ethernet Controller from Control Panel-Programs-Programs and Features.  Restarted the PC and Speedtest has me getting my expected 8 ping, 286 download and 10.46 upload.  If it returns, I will look into trying to disable things as mentioned above.  I would hope Dell/Windows could deal with this apparent recurring problem and fix it, but I am probably hoping for too much.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 25th, 2023 11:00

It's Intel's problem (they own Killer), so there isn't much Dell can do. The best we users can do is try to block these updates from getting installed.

All these Killer updates ever seem to do is update their Control Panel software. The actual Ethernet driver version listed in Device Manager, v9.0.0.50, on my XPS 8930 hasn't changed.

NOTE: if you check the driver's install date in DM, it will show the date when those recent Intel updates were installed, but it's the exact same driver version I've had since ~2019.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

February 28th, 2023 08:00

I just checked again today and the slow update speed is back to its 0.65 mbps.  There is no Killer intel center listed in my start programs.  There is no Killer item listed in Programs/apps.  There is no Killer item running in Task Manager.  And in Device Mgr, I have the same driver version you mentioned, 9.0.0.50, dated 1/14/2020.  Under Events, I have device configured and not started items, but I don't really know what that means.  Not sure how to check for driver install date in dm.

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 28th, 2023 12:00

In addition to uninstalling the awful Killer network control, you need to stop and disable the service as well. I am in a Gigabit service and speeds were capped at 480Mbps (hardwired) with killer on. After uninstalling Killer and stopping & disabling the service, I am clocking >940 Mbps 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058940/wireless/wireless-software.html#:....

1 Rookie

• 

85 Posts

February 28th, 2023 12:00

In addition to uninstalling the awful Killer network control, you need to stop and disable the service as well. I am in a Gigabit service and speeds were capped at 480Mbps (hardwired) with killer on. After uninstalling Killer and stopping & disabling the service, I am clocking >940 Mbps 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058940/wireless/wireless-software.html#:~:text=Right%2Dclick%20Killer%20Network%20Service,the%20dropdown%20and%20select%20Disabled.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

February 28th, 2023 14:00

I found Killer Analytics Service and Killer Network Service in task manager as a background process.  There is no Killer listed in startup.  In Services, there is Killer Analytics Service, Killer Dynamic Bandwidth, Killer Network Service and Killer Smart AP Selection Service.  Per the intel link, I have disabled Killer Network Service in services.  I will restart and see what happens.  Should I disable Killer Analytics Service in Services?  The other two Killer items?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

@cjohnston2  Disable everything named "Killer" and "xTend" in services.msc and then reboot. 

Problem is, you haven't ruled out the possibility the slow speeds are an (intermittent) problem with your ISP connection, rather than just with your PC.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

After restart, I am back to 10-11 mbps on the upload, IE normal.  Now to wait again and see if it will last.

1 Rookie

• 

13 Posts

March 5th, 2023 05:00

Ana, I have done all that.  Everything has worked fine since I uninstalled the programs and disabled Killer Network Service in services.  If it happens again, I will disable the other Killer items in services--and assuming Killer has not popped up again as a program.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

March 6th, 2023 06:00

THANK YOU!  Disabled all the Killer pieces, and now my upload speed is back to 40Mbps vs 0 - 1.0!  The "new" Killer stuff must have auto-installed in the past month or so.  I looked at other solutions - reinstall Killer, reinstall Windows (10), but have learned most of the "extreme" solutions cause more problems than they solve.  One question - am i missing anything by not having Killer running?

Thanks again!

No Events found!