Highlighted
JasonShankel
1 Copper

XPS 8930, two, both have random shutdown

I recently purchased two XPS 8930 desktops. Both systems are experiencing random shutdowns. I'll be working along and then poof, flat power loss. No shutdown warning, no BSOD, no error log. It's just as if someone pulled the plug.

I've tried installing various versions of the BIOS and have updated all other drivers. Nothing seems to help.

Is anyone else having this problem?

-Jason Shankel
Modumate, Inc.

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPS 8930, two, both have random shutdown

* Have you tested with the XPS 8930 plugged directly into the power wall socket?
* Have disconnected all rear and front external cabling, opened the case, disconnected/reconnected all cabling, memory, and cards to the motherboard?
* For my notes, send me via Private Message one of the XPS 8930 service tag number

Run the PSU (power supply unit) BIST (built-in self test). What are the results?
* The computer is off but plugged directly into the power wall socket
* Face the rear of the computer
* Press the black button on the PSU
* If the green LED appears, the PSU is working

Run the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Diagnostics to rule out hardware defects =
* Turn the system off
* Disconnect all additional external USB drives from the system. Leaving only the monitor, mouse, and keyboard attached directly to the system
* Turn the system on
* Tap the F12 key at the Dell splash screen on start up
* Choose Diagnostics from the menu or choose Boot to Utility Partition and then look for Diagnostics

Highlighted
James470
1 Copper

Yes, I am having this problem.  It seems to have started after a BIOS update.  Did you find a solution?

Highlighted
larrama
1 Copper

since 1/1/2020 mine has started shutting down while sleeping, and then won't turn off with shutdown.  It leaves the memory dump file although I never see a blue screen of death.

computer is up to date with all dell updates - please help!

Highlighted
spotteddog
3 Argentium

I've had my XPS 8930 for about a year and a half. Mine has done the same thing right "out of the box". Thinking Dell could resolve this, I worked with them until the warranty ended. New MB, 4 GPUs, all new connectors, new monitor. Never resolved.

Removed the GPU, which solved the problem by about 90%, but it still does it occasionally. Still does "weird" things, but it's usable. 

Needless to say, I have run ALL the suggested tests and troubleshooting. Nothing has ever shown up. I still think it is a bad PSU, but Dell said no.   

XPS 8930
SSD, 2 HDD, GTX 1070, Windows 10 64-bit, i7-8700K, 16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz
Highlighted
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@spotteddog wrote:

I've had my XPS 8930 for about a year and a half. Mine has done the same thing right "out of the box". Thinking Dell could resolve this, I worked with them until the warranty ended. New MB, 4 GPUs, all new connectors, new monitor. Never resolved.

Removed the GPU, which solved the problem by about 90%, but it still does it occasionally. Still does "weird" things, but it's usable. 

Needless to say, I have run ALL the suggested tests and troubleshooting. Nothing has ever shown up. I still think it is a bad PSU, but Dell said no.   

I suggest you start your own new thread.

However, a machine with this tragic-history will take significant effort and methodical trouble-shooting to repair to 100% reliable operation. Like this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/fixed/m-p/5627126/highlight/true#M128687

Any desktop-computer should be connected to good UPS-Battery (like APC with LCD and AVR) from Day-1.

In your-case, leave the GTX-1070 removed until machine works perfectly without it. Only then, would you try re-installing it (and adding it to the mix of hardware).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
spotteddog
3 Argentium

Thanks for the response. Been there, done that (with all the troubleshooting under Dell's supervision, while it was still under warranty and lots of troubleshooting on my own since then).

Sorry, I wasn't trying to hijack this thread. I was just hoping someone may have found a fix. There have been posts from several other people with the same problem, but I've never seen never a fix posted.

Again,

Sorry

XPS 8930
SSD, 2 HDD, GTX 1070, Windows 10 64-bit, i7-8700K, 16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz
Highlighted
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@spotteddog wrote:

I was just hoping someone may have found a fix. There have been posts from several other people with the same problem, but I've never seen never a fix posted.

No, it doesn't work that way.

While we see users coming here for definitive answers to their major computer problems ... there is usually no magical cure-all silver-bullet fix.

I guess, if the effort is not worth it ... leave it broken or junk it. 

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
7 Thorium

@JasonShankel-

Which CPU, power supply (460W or 850W), and video card, and how much RAM is in each of your XPS 8930?

Have you installed any additional internal drives, or are you using power hungry external devices like printers etc?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee