Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

10 Posts

December 9th, 2022 06:00

XPS 8930, updated stuck on Dell logo, Can't get to BIOS

XPS 8930

XPS 8930

My XPS 8930 desktop had an update, after a few hours it updated again. Rebooted to the Dell logo.  Stuck there.  F2 - F12 won't work. tried unplugging, holding down the power button and everything else I've read here.  Can't get to BIOS. Tried booting from a Windows disk and Windows install USB. Any ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

December 9th, 2022 06:00

Try pulling the CMOS battery, instructions are here, and leave it out of the system for 15 minutes then reinstall. If that does not help replace the battery (CR2032) with a brand new battery. Assuming the update/s were for a BIOS upgrade and it was not successful, and my prior instructions do not help, you can try a BIOS recovery as outlined on the support page here.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 9th, 2022 07:00

Luckily you did not turn it off during update.  now it is stalling in post, thus stuck in Dell logo screen.  Follow JOcean advice on cmos battery, then Try clear cmos: Locate the CMOS reset jumper (CMCLR) on the system board. · Remove the power cord. · Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper-pins (PSWD) and connect it to CMOS jumper-pins. Wait for 5 seconds and then replace the jumper plug to the password jumper-pins (PSWD).

10 Posts

December 9th, 2022 15:00

Tried everything suggested and managed to have it boot up once using the esc/ctrl reload BIOS method. Could not get the mouse to work. Was going to try a quick back up of desktop files. Everything else is on other hard drives. I rebooted and bricked back to logo screen.  Nothing worked again after that.  I have a new Dell on order so I will just add my other drives to the new computer.  Will I be able to transfer desktop files from my old NVMe boot drive using a NVMe docking station?  The system did have pin to enter.

Thanks for the help!

10 Posts

December 9th, 2022 15:00

Tried and no success. Thanks for the help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 9th, 2022 16:00

@malanick  - What update were you trying to install?

Run the PSU BIST test using button on rear of PC.

3. Assuming PSU passes the BIST, try to open BIOS setup again by tapping F2 as soon as you see the Dell splash screen. If you get into BIOS setup, see if SATA Operation is set to RAID or AHCI.

If it's set to AHCI and you didn't previously reconfigure Windows to use AHCI (eg if/when you replaced the boot drive), change the setting to RAID. Save the change and exit setup. PC should reboot automatically and -hopefully- gets to desktop.

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 9th, 2022 18:00

try remove all sata devices (hdd, ssd, dvd), all usb devices, discrete graphics card, all memory sticks except one ram stick in DIMM1, try POST video using on board HDMI or DP video port, in case the new bios is stuck checking firmware of one removable piece of hardware.  sounds like new bios has issue but mobo has not been bricked completely yet.  test each ram stick individually.

10 Posts

December 10th, 2022 08:00

Power supply seems ok according to test. I reset BIOS and get the Dell logo, the F2 and F12 will show up on the screen but does nothing after the keyboard is pressed. Just get stuck on the logo screen.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 10th, 2022 12:00

@malanick wrote:

Power supply seems ok according to test. I reset BIOS and get the Dell logo, the F2 and F12 will show up on the screen but does nothing after the keyboard is pressed. Just get stuck on the logo screen.

I'm confused by "I reset BIOS".  Exactly what does that mean? Did reset BIOS to defaults by removing battery and pressing PC's power button and/or by using the jumper?  Or, did you manually change BIOS from AHCI to RAID? 

If you reset BIOS to the defaults with battery and/or jumper, the default for SATA Mode is AHCI. Windows is typically installed by Dell for RAID, so it's not going to boot if SATA Mode is set to AHCI.

If you're using a wireless mouse/keyboard, try using wired mouse/key and plug them into rear USB2 ports on XPS 8930. If mouse/keyboard are Bluetooth, they're not going to work until Windows loads.

10 Posts

December 11th, 2022 12:00

I used both the jumper and removing the battery.  Was using wired keyboard and mouse. I just got my new Dell delivered and going to transfer drives into new computer.  Giving up on old one.  Just need to try and transfer some files from the old boot NVMe to my new computer. What is the best way to do that?  Could I just install the old NVMe in a slot in the new computer and read the desktop file off of it or will that mot be possible because it was a boot disk?

Thanks for help.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 11th, 2022 18:00

Another thought... if new PC is XPS 8950 which has two M.2 NVME slots, you could try putting the old SSD in the second M.2 slot.

Windows Boot Manager may still boot from the SSD that came in new PC...but no proof one way or t'other...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 11th, 2022 18:00

Is the new PC, likely with different CPU and chipset, going to boot from the SSD coming out of the XPS 8930? 

Is Windows going to complain about the hardware change because the product key embedded on the motherboard won''t match what Windows on the old SSD expects?

798 Posts

December 12th, 2022 18:00

Re:  XPS 8930 Dell screen stuck at logo, Dell screen black screen at startup with delayed boot sequence.

The problem with any bios recovery with the XPS 8930 is if the secure boot option somehow defaults to enable secure boot  AND the monitor connected is to the GPU, you will continue to get the dell logo screen  hangup.

The workaround  is to first to be able to get into the BIOS and second, to disable Secure Boot.

Before following the BIOS recovery option steps to reset the BIOS do the following:

• Remove aftermarket GPU
  • Use onboard HDMI to connect to display
  • Then follow the directions to remove the CMOS battery to reset BIOS, then reinstalling the battery after the recommended 15 min, and then holding down power button for 15 sec.  (We waited an hour and reinstalled  the battery and did not have to hold down the power button)
  • Turn Secure Boot off that shows up on SECURITY TAB by going to the BOOT TAB and disabling Secure Boot.

More info here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS-Desktops/XPS-8930-black-screen-fix-motherboard-swap-BIOS-updates/td-p/7251078 

1 Message

December 13th, 2022 07:00

Just had one of these in our shop that had been upgraded to bios version 1.1.27

Machine would not post with any NVME Drives connected with 1.1.27

Have restored back to 1.1.26 and all is well

I did try to upgrade it again and got exactly the same issue so went back to 1.1.26

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

December 13th, 2022 09:00

Re: Re: rebooted and bricked back to logo screen.  
Two users report that after 1.1.27 bios update, POST stuck at Dell logo when nvme ssd is connected to 8930.  So it behooves OP to try remove nvme ssd and try POST again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 13th, 2022 16:00

Makes me wonder if the new update changed the BIOS SATA Operation setting from whatever it was prior to the update.

For example, if SATA Operation was reset from RAID to AHCI by the new update, while Windows is installed by Dell at the factory to use RAID.  Or, if the user has reconfigured Windows to use AHCI, but the BIOS update set SATA Operation back to RAID.  Either way, the PC is unlikely to boot if there's a "mismatch" between BIOS and Windows.

I've made my Dell tech contacts aware...

No Events found!