Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 03:00

XPS 8940, Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler upgrade

With XPS 8940 CPU overheating issue, and 10 hours+ on the phone with dell customer service with absolutely no progress. I decided to give up on dell, and just change to a third party cooler once and for all to solve the issue.

I am planning to change to a Noctua NH-U9S, I did a bit of research, and figure I need to get M3 screws to fit it in, thanks to the OEM motherboard by dell. but I wasn't able to confirm on the length of the screws I should get, cause some said 20mmm is too long, and some said 16mm is too short, will anyone with experience be able to confirm, or if their are any other better option for screws, thanks in advance!

363 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 06:00

16mm M3 machine screws work perfectly fine. That's what I used to install the noctua on my G5 (same setup as the 8940). Another option is to use "headless" grub screws and the nuts included in the Noctua kit. Details here.

Yat another (much easier) option is to get the Vetroo V5 cooler, which is less than half the price of the Noctua and comes with all the screws you need to install it on the Dell. Performance and noise are on par with Noctua, from what people have been saying. 

September 2nd, 2021 08:00

Here's what I did...

https://youtu.be/nWOeO1Cfva0

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 14:00

thank you, I looked at the V5 cooler, it seem is 120mm instead of 92, will it fit in a XPS case? 

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 14:00

Thank you, I actually looked at your video before I decide to change to a Noctua NH-U9S, it was really helpful, however I am locate in Canada, and I believe another youtuber mention being unable to get the screw without the head. Would like to know where can I get those M3 25mm from you video, thank you

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 15:00

Thank you very much, sorry if I am being a bit annoying, I went Canada bolts and try searching for the M3 25mm, but cannot find the one with no head that you use in the video. Is there another name or what type of head should I search for. I am not a machine guy, that why I went with the dell pre-build, but wasn't expecting all those issue with Dell. Thank you

363 Posts

September 2nd, 2021 15:00

@Mel628  I'm in Canada too and I used canadabolts.ca to get the screws. Hardware stores (at least those in the Montreal area) didn't have the right ones. Canadian Tire only has M3s up to 10 or 12 mm, if I remember correctly. 

Regarding the Vetroo V5, there are users on the forum who have installed it and I haven't read complaints about it not fitting (example). However, here in Canada the price is not far from the Noctua. In the US it's less than half.

12 Posts

September 7th, 2021 18:00

I am in Canada too. I used these screws for Noctua NH-U9S. 

50 Pcs M3-0.50 x 20mm Button Head Socket Cap Screws, Passivated 18-8 Stainless Steel, Allen Hex Drive, ISO 7380, by Fullerkreg,Come in an Easy-use Storage Case https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H183MVP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_NSVYYC6HMZVG20GJR373?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

26 Posts

September 7th, 2021 19:00

@Mel628, yesterday I bought M3x25mm grub screws from a Chinese seller on eBay:

M2/M3/M4/ M5/M6/M8 Stainless Steel Grub Screws Flat Point Hex Socket Set | eBay

Of course, it hasn't arrived yet and it'll take me several weeks to get them, but it only costed me four loonies and change, so I'm ok to wait. For that amount, I'm willing to take a chance.

363 Posts

September 9th, 2021 17:00

@Mel628 I actually got regular M3 16mm screws from canadabolts, not the headless ones. I see @CowBird and @av-user recommended some places where you can get headless ones. You might want to also email canadabolts and ask if they can get those for you. Might be faster than ebay. I got mine in 3 days or so. 

3 Posts

September 18th, 2021 06:00

2.jpeg

3 Posts

September 18th, 2021 06:00

1.jpeg

No Events found!