Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2020 07:00

XPS 8940 SE, new, bad motherboard

I received a new XPS 8940 SE last week (i7-10700, RTS 2060, 1tb NVMe) and so far have found it to be very fast and quiet. I updated all drivers and  bios. As I am working, I noticed that the power button led is flashing 3 amber and 2 white lights. I ran support assist and also pre-boot troubleshooter and all came back normal. This one troubled me as in the Service Manual this sequence of flashes indicate that the motherboard needs replacing. I contacted Dell support and sure enough, they scheduled an appointment to have the motherboard replaced! The system is running flawlessly and I am using it now as my go to desktop. Quite strange and disappointing for a new Dell. I have an XPS 8700 which is still running flawlessly for 6 1/2 years!

Anyone else having motherboard issues with the XPS 8940 SE?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 4th, 2020 05:00

non dell video cards require secure boot OFF in bios.

Non OEM dell cards require secure boot off. This is not optional. There is no LEGACY CSM with UEFI Class 3 Bios.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-hit-with-competition-complaint-over-windows-8-uefi-secure-boot/

The truth is that it makes it more difficult to Impossible with CLASS 3 UEFI Bios to run anything other than Windows and Microsoft WHQL certified hardware.  This includes Video cards and Storage Controller cards with boot roms and tuners and anything else on ANY bus including USB.

The firmware update is a certificate in the bios on the video card that is $$$Microsoft Certified aka WHQL validated with Microsoft Certificate.

The OEM firmware has a certificate in the bios on the video card,driver, etc that is $$$Microsoft Certified.

All future systems are 64 bit only and Win10 only. There are no more 32 bit drivers.  ATI, NVIDIA, INTEL, etc are all complying with this.  No more CSM enforces this. Any os that does not pay for certificate and write 64 bit UEFI code will not boot.  Grub/msdos  etc wont work. Secure boot "removes control from the end user and places it in the hands of Microsoft. It makes it impossible  to run anything other than 64 Windows 10 or Redhat, , Suse, Ubuntu 12.04.3 or higher".

DVP9W Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti,  4GB, 75w
36V90 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, 3GB, 120w
24K8H Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050,  2GB 75w
8CCF1 Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 30w
1MPR3 AMD R9-360 2GB, 75w
24K8H Nvidia GTX 1050 2GB, 75w

When installing an after-market graphics card into a  Windows PC with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

Answer ID 3156
  Published 10/25/2012 03:12 PM
  Updated 10/26/2012 02:00 PM

When installing an after-market graphics card into a
 Windows  with Secure Boot enabled, the system may not boot.

Secure boot is enabled by default on Windows
PCs. When an after-market graphics card not containing UEFI-enabled firmware with DELL Certificate.

(VBIOS) is installed into a motherboard with secure boot enabled in the SBIOS, the system may not boot. The majority of retail graphics cards Not DELL OEM do not contain UEFI-enabled Certificate.

In order to get the PC to boot with a graphics card that does not contain a UEFI-enabled firmware the end-user must first disable the secure boot feature in the system's SBIOS before installing the graphics card.

Note: 
Some system SBIOS's incorporate a feature called compatibility boot. These systems will detect a non-UEFI-enabled firmware VBIOS and allow the user to disable secure boot and then proceed with a compatibility boot. If the system contains a system SBIOS the supports compatibility boot, the user will need to disable secure boot when asked during boot process

Instructions for manually disabling secure boot:

1) Power down the system

2) Remove the NVIDIA Add-in card

3) Boot the system using integrated graphics

4) Enter CMOS settings. CMOS settings can usually be accessed during boot, typically by pressing  F2 then F12 over and over,  (depends on the BIOS)

5) Set Secure Boot to disabled

6) If there is an option, set CSM (or compatibility or legacy mode) to enabled.

7) Save the new settings Power down the system

9) Install the NVIDIA Add-in card

10) The system should now boot

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 6th, 2020 11:00

There was another thread about an XPS 8940 with 3 amber, 2 white blink code.

Don't remember the outcome of that one, so search for it...

In the meanwhile, try reseating the video card in its slot. There's probably a "hook" on the bottom back corner (farthest corner from the video output ports) that has to lock onto the PCI-e x16 slot. If that hook isn't locked, you might get the 3,2 code because that code says: "PCI, video card/chip failure".

19 Posts

September 6th, 2020 13:00

The GPU is solidly seated. The Dell tech on the phone didn't even mention that as a possible issue. In fact, he didn't have me perform any additional troubleshooting. After being on hold for a short while, he came back with "we need to replace the motherboard". So I am guessing that they are having issues with these motherboards and recognize the symptoms. I'm glad he didn't waste my time with needless tinkering.

19 Posts

September 16th, 2020 07:00

Well after 2 in home service visits, replacing the motherboard and the GPU, the blinking light persists. It's very strange as the system runs fine without any issue. The one interesting aspect to this problem is that when the GPU is removed and the onboard graphics is used, the power light becomes solid white. So it must have something to do with the GPU (?) Perhaps an issue between the bios (Ver 1.0.3) and the RTX 2060? Anyone running this bios with the 2060 without a problem?

I asked for a replacement since this is a brand new system and the exchange was approved. So just now waiting to get an email with the exchange details.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 16th, 2020 11:00

What size PSU do you have? Under-powered for the RTX 2060...??

Do you have the latest NVidia driver, latest chipset, Intel Management Engine <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and the brand new dynamic tuning driver?

Did you try clearing BIOS?

1. Reboot and start tapping F2 when you see the Dell splash screen to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings, to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall the battery
  8. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  9. Reboot

19 Posts

September 16th, 2020 12:00

Yep. All those steps were tried by the tech.    I have the 500w psu (80 plus platinum on a sticker)

September 16th, 2020 13:00

Ah...Ordered the same system a few days ago. Wonder if I should just cancel and order the one with GTX 1660Ti instead. Are you getting the exact same system as replacement?

19 Posts

September 16th, 2020 16:00

Yes Delll is replacing the same configuration.    Mid-Oct is the estimated delivery.   

19 Posts

October 2nd, 2020 06:00

Received a new pc, started up - and same problem! So I decided to try different peripherals - and sure enough, a different monitor and the flashing amber and white lights stopped. Now have a solid white light. Could it be that the Dell RTX 2060 is throwing an error with certain monitors? It worked fine with this monitor, just had to look at the continually flashing power light.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 07:00

You should have looked up the flashing diagnostic amber/white LED light code in the Service Manual to determine what the problem description was. It is hard to believe that the monitor caused the problem although one problem description mentions "PCI, video card/chip failure".

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 10:00

@TonyD53  -

Are both monitors being connected to the RTX card on the replacement PC, not to an onboard video port?

And are you using the exact same port on the RTX card for both monitors?

Is the "problem monitor" set to use the video port type you're actually using? Check its On-Screen Display, and select the specific type of port, not "auto detect" or similar...

Are you powering the monitors on before or after powering the PC on?

If you swap the problem monitor back again, do you get a blink code? And is it the same 3 amber, 2 white that you got with the original PC?

19 Posts

October 2nd, 2020 12:00

@RoHe To answer your questions: Are both monitors being connected to the RTX card on the replacement PC, not to an onboard video port? Yes And are you using the exact same port on the RTX card for both monitors? Yes Is the "problem monitor" set to use the video port type you're actually using? Check its On-Screen Display, and select the specific type of port, not "auto detect" or similar... Yes Are you powering the monitors on before or after powering the PC on? Monitors are on standby, powered on. If monitor is off on startup, same problem. The blinking light appears right on startup, even before bios fully loads. If you swap the problem monitor back again, do you get a blink code? And is it the same 3 amber, 2 white that you got with the original PC? Yes There is one other sequence I tried which didn't result in the problem light - unplug hdmi, boot up, then plug in hdmi. Then I get a solid white power light. I have tried 3 different hdmi cables, all produce the same results.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 15:00

That sounds like there's an issue between the RTX card and the monitor's HDMI port, perhaps because that monitor is on standby.

The PC probably can't see that monitor unless/until you 'hot plug" it, eg, plug it in after the PC is already on. Suggest you try powering that monitor off fully. Then power it on first and power PC on within 2-3 sec.

Or, if that monitor has a DP port, try that port and I bet the problem disappears so you don't have to hot plug the monitor, if you really want to leave it in standby.

4 Operator

• 

3.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 17:00

I agree that it appears to be an issue between the RTX 2060 and the monitor's HDMI port, but what seems strange to me is that the issue appears during Power On Self Test (POST) because that is when the diagnostic tests are run. Perhaps when the monitor is connected to the RTX's HDMI port it triggers a fault in the graphics card that is being detected during POST which would indicate that the problem is with the graphics card..If you Google search "RTX 2060 problems with HDMI" there are several results indicating a problem.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 2nd, 2020 19:00

Don't know if you have the exact same OEM RTX 2060 that Dell installed in XPS 8930 systems, or if it's even from the same manufacturer. But, there was a recent firmware update for the RTX 2060 card and other NVidia cards Dell installed in the XPS 8930 to fix HDMI hot plug issues.

You've already shown that the blink code doesn't appear when you use the onboard HDMI port, so the problem is between the RTX and the monitor. That what made me suggest you have a hot plug issue with the card.

NOTE: I'm not saying you should install that firmware update (it's not listed for the XPS 8940) because we don't know if yours is the same OEM card or, even if it is, if they're already installed the firmware update.

All I'm saying is that you should keep an eye out for a similar firmware update that applies to the RTX 2060 card Dell is installing in XPS 8940 systems.

No Events found!