Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2022 14:00

XPS 8950, 1000w PSU

I recently placed an order for an XPS 8950 and noticed the option for a 1000w PSU. I checked the FAQ but did not find any info on this option. Does anyone have details on this PSU? I'd like to know the type (Gold, Platinum) manufacturer and the number of 6/8pin PCIe plugs. I'd like to use an EVGA RTX 3070 Ti but it needs 3 8pin PCIe power connections.

Chassis Options
1000W Platinum Silver Bezel Chassis including optical drive
Item number: 321-BHTZ

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 24th, 2022 15:00

@Zeebrock 

"Y cable adapter this would easily exceed the 150w "standard" Y cables are NOT Safe and NOT Standard.

Doubling up wires into wires DOES NOT add power. The limits of the molex connectors are 12v 18 AMPS per connector.  Doubling up this with a Y does NOT make a safe cable and is NOT UL 94v fire safety rated.

PCI-E 1.0 spec says 150W for a single 6 pin and 300W for a DUAL six pin aka an 8 pin   2 x 4

This standard is from 2003  aka PCI SIG 19 years ago.  Long before mining and dodgy unsafe burn your house down power supplies with fake UL labels.

The protest that you do mining is not recognized as an engineering or safety standard or certification or authority by PCI-SIG, IEEE, UL, insurance companies, etc. Power from slot is Directly related to how many lanes aka X4 is 25W max  X8 is 50W max and X1 is 10W max.

Safety Standards come from UL /  PCI SIG not Miners.Safety Standards come from UL / PCI SIG not Miners.

SIX pin and slot =225WSIX pin and slot =225W150 or 300W plus 75W slot150 or 300W plus 75W slot

7 Posts

June 24th, 2022 23:00

1. I am merely stating real-world experience, we gain knowledge from experience and sometimes we learn we can push the recognized boundaries we once thought were the limit. We experiment that's how we advance in life. Trial and error, innovation, let's see if it works attitude.
    I get it you are a rules guy, and that's OK. However,  you might try once in a while to spread a little optimism and be positive instead of just going about
    on threads that do fit the "rules". Or as my mother used to say, "If you have nothing good to say then, say nothing at all"
    Thank you.

22 Posts

November 18th, 2022 08:00

Agreed. Speedstep is stating all these "engineering specs" yet doesn't seem to know what he is talking about by contradicting himself. 

Using a Y cable to connect to a 3x 8-pin card is exactly the same as it would be if there were no Y cable and was plugged into a card that had 2x 8-pin and 2x 6-pin (there is no card out there I know of that does). In this case, it is a single card, drawing power from a single power supply. It will spread the load across all of the cables.

The purpose of using a Y cable in this case isn't to "add power" as Speedstep suggested, it is to safely convert two 6-pin plugs into an 8-pin plug while staying within the "safety standards".

6-pins are rated at 75 watts and 8-pins are rated at 150 watts. Rated as in a guideline to adhere to the "safety standards". In most cases, they can and will exceed these ratings. The cards will draw as much power as their designed circuits will allow it to. 

An RTX 3090 TI is rated at 450 watts and requires 3x 8-pin.

3x 8-pin = 450w

(2x 8-pin = 300w) + (2x 6-pin = 150w) = 450w

It's safe in my book. 

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

May 4th, 2024 02:54

@RoHe​ it took me 2months of fighting but I finally got a DELTA 1000W RD0G0 from DELL for only £66.97 DELLivered (hehe) inc. VAT which is only listed the USA Parts Site although this was shipped from Norway!
DELL use an Indian Call Centre whom behave like children and give you lies and misinfo on all things. It has seriously deabilitated my stigma with India! 
Pleased to say the 1000W has less Coil Whine and is more pleasant to work with than their 750W PSU.
They fitted 2 more 750W PSU in an attempt to get lucky with a quieter one but failed with yet another LITEON & then ACBEL. 
They could not even tell me what a "WUD Point Of Need" actually is and one lied to say I pay for the Part in Full after paying for this. All it means is you send back the old Part and is as a means of good faith out of Warranty.
Now I want to look into the Splitter Cable for the 12VHPWR needed for 4080/90 cards.
Is there an extender from 2x 8pins for this Proprietry PSU?
Not a problem at all to use on the 4070 so long as you also have Female-Female 2x 8pins.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

May 4th, 2024 02:55

@speedstep​ Splitters are ok as the cable is rated 300W each.

No Events found!