Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2022 21:00

XPS 8950, PSU hum noise

Can the people who purchased the XPS 8950 share the noise levels of their computers?

In January, I purchased the 8950 to replace my 10+ years old HP desktop which was whisper quiet. I chose the low tier components such as the i5-12600K and 1650 Super but still added the liquid cooling option and the 750W PSU which many people might consider as overkill. But since day one, I could hear the PSU fan even when I am outside the room. On the third week after purchase, the PSU started to make this unbearable rattling noise which led to me calling Tech Support for a replacement. After the replacement, the new (probably refurbished) PSU wasn't making those loud rattling noises but it was still making those initial humming sounds. It gets loud the second I turn on the PC and it never stops. Also, I do nothing advanced on the PC which will lead it to getting this loud. Maybe modern systems are built this way to make sure components don't get overheated and I just got lucky with that HP computer.

9 Posts

March 31st, 2022 20:00

Hello,

I have an update. I mailed in my 8950 to the depot and it came back in 4 business days which is very impressive. The service summary states that the processor, main logic board, mechanical part, and video card was replaced. I don't know what "mechanical part" stands for but I think it is the PSU since that was the component which was making the loud noise. I realized that the computer was not making the loud noise anymore so the main issue has been resolved.

The only thing that I can hear now is the liquid cooling system which does not worry me too much since it sounds way better than the PSU coil whine and I can just replace it with a Noctua. 

Thank you to Dell Tech Support and the people who responded to this thread. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 18th, 2022 22:00

Yes, a more powerful power-supply (that never runs into high-utilization) is usually a good idea. We call that "over sizing the power-supply".

I don't know why they like to put a $3 fan in a nice power-supply, but they do.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General-Read-Only/Alienware-Aurora-R6-clicking-noise/m-p/5519514/highlight/true#M21483

Also know, they are several different manufacturers of the XPS-8950 power-supplies:

Dell Validated OEM PSU =

MP23Y Acbel 750W (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
M92DC Chicony 750W (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
5TVR6 LiteOn 750W Platinum (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
FT44X LiteOn 750W Platinum (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
NW4C3 LiteOn 750W Platinum (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
M2G8X LiteOn 750W (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
PNWT1 Acbel 460W Bronze (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
389MC Chicony 460W Bronze (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)
T63HC Huntkey 460W Bronze (Aurora R13/R14, XPS 8950)

I would say "get the Delta made one" but looks like Dell isn't getting PS from Delta any more (at least not for these consumer-focused models).

Yes, the older machines tended to be quieter. Less going-on inside (less fans required). Likely better made (not just "good enough" components). Also, probably heavier-gauge case-metal. Less tool-less snap-together pieces (so more rigid).  

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

March 19th, 2022 05:00

I can tell you that my 1-week-old XPS 8950 is totally silent under normal load. Normal load for me being web browsing, 4-5 office docs open, and 3 virtual machines running. When I run Cinebench to benchmark, I can hear the fans at times which I would expect. Is your BIOS up-to-date?

My specs: i9-12900k, rtx 3060 ti, 128gb ram, 750 watt psu, liquid cooling.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

March 19th, 2022 09:00

I have the 8950 with the 12700k and the liquid cooling. It is no where near silent when it is at idle. More often than not users are reporting that the stock Dell AIO is kinda noisy at idle. A user called Mr.Drey put in a Corsair H80 120mm and he says that it is silent and cools better.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 19th, 2022 10:00

Could you tell us if the user has applied Corsair H80 120 MM on the same model system?

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

March 19th, 2022 11:00

I think he did. You can read his post on a thread I started a while back called "XPS 8950 liquid cooling performance".

9 Posts

March 19th, 2022 12:00

I updated the BIOS to 1.0.13 which got released yesterday (3/18/22) but I can still hear my computer from far away. I will open the side panel again and check if the sound is coming from the liquid cooling system instead of the PSU.

Someone did say that their 8950 is silent so I am assuming that something is wrong with my PC. I might see if I can get a PSU replacement made by a different manufacturer.

48 Posts

March 19th, 2022 13:00

My 8950 with the 750w PS is very quiet, I can almost not hear it at all.  The only noise it does make is the PS fan, but its not bad at all.  Keep in mind, I changed the CPU cooler and the case fans on mine.  I may pull the power supply and see about replacing the fan it it, but its not bothersome enough to even consider it at this point.

1 Rookie

• 

443 Posts

March 19th, 2022 15:00

I have a feeling that your PC is fine. The AIO pumps from Dell are just loud. Dell replaced my AIO because the first one was VERY loud but even after the replacement it is not even close to silent.

48 Posts

March 19th, 2022 18:00

Dell (Asetek) AIO Liquid Cooler - loud, with humming noise. If you'd like quiet operation I'd suggest Corsair AIO or Noctua air cooler.

Rattling - check your case and determine what's rattling. Could be the loose screw, could be hard hard drive, could be loose fan. Lots of metal pieces touch each other inside the case - any one of them can rattle.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 20th, 2022 16:00

Sure you can contact us over the phone, however we we can also assist you in booking the service. If you would like to proceed, then please do let us know about the same.

9 Posts

March 20th, 2022 16:00

I removed the side panel and decided to unplug all the connectors besides the power source connector. I turned on the computer and was still getting the loud noise I could hear all the way to the kitchen. This concludes that the power source is the issue and not the AIO. This is the second PSU in my system since the first one had some sort of a coil whine and got replaced by the on-site engineer. I will call Tech Support tomorrow and ask for another replacement.

I was thinking of replacing the PSU with one made by a reputable manufacturer such as Corsair and Seasonic but learned that the 8950 uses a non-standard motherboard connector block which disallows any non-Dell PSU to be connected.

9 Posts

March 20th, 2022 17:00

I will have a callback from a case manager tomorrow and I will tell him about the PSU replacement.

Yesterday, my computer failed the Diagnostics test when it was testing the CPU Fan. It said that the fan was running faster than expected so it gave me an error code and validation code to submit to Tech Support. I immediately got an email by the case manager requesting a 2 hour window for a call. He was supposed to call today but it got moved to Monday. I don't hear anything wrong with the CPU fan but lets see what the case manager says about the error.

When my first PSU had a coil whine issue, Tech Support wanted to initiate a systems exchange but I declined since I thought a PSU replacement would suffice. If the second PSU replacement does not fix the noise issue then I think I will ask for a systems exchange. 

April 15th, 2022 21:00

I am having the same problem as well.   The rattling sound is coming from the power supply and very annoying.  Dell is currently in the process of finding me another machine as a replacement, but is having difficulty in finding one since it was purchased from the outlet.   I have always purchased Dell systems and this is the first time I've had any issues with them.  

Additionally, the system panel looks like it had dust in the paint of the panel in several areas, not sure what that is about.  I'm very disappointed with Dell at this minute, and contemplating returning their system and building my own, unless they get this issue resolved super fast.  I'm starting to understand why people take the time to build their own computer systems...you can't say enough about putting quality components into systems people pay their hard earned monies for.

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

June 6th, 2022 11:00

Xps 8950, i7 12700, Nvidia 1660ti, 32GB DDR5, PSU 750.

I replaced the stock cooler with the Dell Premium Air Cooler. My system is silent except when 100% cpu utilization, the fans are audible.

No Events found!