Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2018 13:00

XPS8930 returned for repair

Purchased an XPS8390 off of E-Bay, after a few minutes of use, blue screens, worked with Dell to resolve, twice reload of Windows 10 Home failed, blue screens, returned to Dell, repair part unavailable, estimated part availability a week.

Any opinions on if I should request new replacement computer, or wait for repair. 

The 30 day return window from E-Bay will probably be exceeded by the time the repaired computer will be returned to me, and there might be a 15% restocking fee (computer value $1600).

Any advice?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 10th, 2018 10:00

@ejn63 wrote:

No, it was not purchased direct from Dell on EBay.  Dell does NOT have an official sales channel on EBay (and I'd venture anyone representing themselves there as Dell is a very suspect vendor to be avoided). 

And if that somebody is pretending to be Dell on eBay, you probably should report them to Dell...

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 9th, 2018 15:00

Ebay is my job, send it back now! It's doa you you will get ALL your money back. Call ebay. 

Go to my ebay, click return this item, select not working, and wait for them to send a shipping label paid by them. If they squawk Ebay will extract ALL your money from their account and add it to yours. The shipper will scan the return label so they can't say they didn't get it. Ebay normally takes sides with the buyer, don't let them burn you! Don't try to get it working any more! No restocking fee!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 9th, 2018 16:00

But you will still have to wait for Dell to send it back to you, fixed or not. So that complicates the issue. You probably should have just gone directly back to the seller on eBay...

BTW: Was this PC sold as new, used or refurbished? If the Service Tag was previously registered to somebody else, you're going to need info about the original registered owner from the seller in order to do an Ownership Transfer to you so you'll get any remaining warranty coverage.

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

I didn't know he already sent it away, that would have been a slam dunk with no questions asked if he just sent it back. I have been selling steadily for 12 years on Ebay. They normally stand by the buyer which has hampered me a few times as a seller.

I read the original post too fast and missed the sent to Dell part but if he can get it back before the deadlines he will only be out the shipping to Dell fee. He needs to call Ebay which is easy to do.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Going to be messy, even if the PC comes back fixed from Dell. OP still going to need the previous owner's info to do an ownership transfer, and that assumes the eBay seller has that info.

If the eBay seller bought the PC from somebody else and is just reselling it, they may not have the original owner's info and/or may not be willing to provide it without getting permission from the original owner....

Like I said....MESSY!

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 9th, 2018 17:00

The best thing would probably be to get it back from Dell without fixing it and return it to the seller for a FULL refund before the return deadline. Then he will be back to square one but much wiser. Transfers, receipts, owners info, etc. won't even enter the picture.

16 Posts

October 10th, 2018 07:00

Bought from Dell on E-Bay, new computer

16 Posts

October 10th, 2018 07:00

E-Bay seller was dell, new desktop.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

October 10th, 2018 08:00

No, it was not purchased direct from Dell on EBay.  Dell does NOT have an official sales channel on EBay (and I'd venture anyone representing themselves there as Dell is a very suspect vendor to be avoided). 

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 10th, 2018 10:00

This whole thing sounds fishy, I would call Ebay to work with them and get that unit back to the seller ASAP.

16 Posts

October 10th, 2018 16:00

this would be the description on E-Bay which can be searched. 

Dell XPS Desktop Silver- 8th Gen i7- GTX 1070 - 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD- 16GB RAM

Cannot copy, but over to the right there would be a circle with Dell which when hovered over says Dell (21406) feedbacks.

Direct link: https       ://www.ebay.     com/itm/Dell-XPS-Desktop-Silver-8th-Gen-i7-GTX-1070-256GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-16GB-RAM/222909491446?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not Dell? that would be scary

Whoever responded to msg sent to seller said no new replacement can be sent, either wait for repair, or return within 30 days for full refund no return charge.

16 Posts

October 10th, 2018 17:00

Verified with chat with Dell.  Dell DOES NOT have an E-Bay store. 

Pretty scary. 

Whoever this seller would be understood computer was returned to Dell and said full refund, not restock fee, if returned within 30 days of purchase. 

I would NEVER buy complicated electronics except directly from the manufacturer.

Read an article a while ago that Zippo lighter counterfeits are so well done that only the Zippo lab can determine they are fakes, and then only after someone was burned by the leaking lighter fluid. 

Child's play to counterfeit a computer?

Thanks for the knowledge that Dell does not sell on E-Bay!

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 10th, 2018 19:00

So what do you plan to do? Did you talk to Ebay? Ebay is my job, take my advice.

16 Posts

October 11th, 2018 08:00

Filed return request with E-Bay seller last night. 

Talked to E-Bay today, said if seller sends return label, I have to return item within 5 days of receiving return label.

Spoke with Dell after that.  They recognize the address of seller (Dell ARRC Nashville). 

Dell said they would arrange for return of computer for full refund.

Dell said CPU failed, waiting for replacement part, or they would send refurbished computer if replacement part could not be obtained.

Do not want a refurbished computer when paid for new computer.

2 Intern

• 

732 Posts

October 11th, 2018 09:00

You're making headway. Ebay will take care of you.

No Events found!