Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 30th, 2019 10:00

7390 2-in-1 Linux, Webcam not working

I've tried a few distributions and am now on Fedora 31. Once `modprobe.blacklist=intel_lpss_pci` is added to boot options, the laptop mostly works. The webcam, however, does not work and isn't listed via:

v4l2-ctl --list-devices

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

November 1st, 2019 16:00

All can see here on the XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 driver page that only Windows 10 is validated and supported by Dell.

The fact that the webcam functions in the validated and supported Windows 10 indicates the hardware is working fine.

In regards to the out of scope Fedora OS, you will need to refer to an online Fedora OS support forum.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

October 31st, 2019 15:00

Hi

Thank you for posting and for sending the service tag information via private message. We have opened a case and replied to your private message.

Geoffrey

1 Message

October 31st, 2019 19:00

I am having the same issue with my machine. Have you found a solution by any chance?

5 Posts

November 1st, 2019 16:00

Not yet, Windows reports the webcam as an Intel AVStream but I couldn't find a matching device ID so it's hard to say what it actually is.

14 Posts

December 12th, 2019 17:00

Thank you so much for linking a Windows driver in a thread about Linux. How useful.

1 Message

January 30th, 2020 07:00

This is outrageous. Dell is selling expensive laptops with cameras that are unusable on linux. When asked for help, instead of helping solve the problem, you point to a Windows driver.

I've spent a lot of money on this laptop and am not able to use it for meetings. If this issue is not resolved quickly I have to return the laptop and stop using Dell.

1 Message

March 27th, 2020 17:00

This is stupid. I paid nearly $2000 with the expectation that this laptop supported Linux as it's sold as a nearly identical model to the non 2-in-1 models.

I am someone who purchases laptops roughly every 2-3 years for work, and for the foreseeable future will be using Linux. If Dell cannot make good on their Linux support here then this will be the last time I buy a dell laptop. I was weary of buying Dell to begin with... I have found the support to be terrible (you're lucky to get an English speaking support person), I have found the pricing to be a bit high and turn-around for custom orders to be slow... overall not impressed. The product is nice, but next time.. (unless this experience improves), I will be buying a ThinkPad instead.

Get a patch out for any common Linux distro (Ubuntu, Debian, Arch, Fedora) and I'm expecting that the community will get that out to the various distros easily. Currently the community is working to reverse engineer something that Dell should at-least offer assistance or documentation for. Or next time, Dell could just use a camera that has great support.

No Events found!