Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

May 15th, 2020 08:00

9300 Fingerprint Reader Not Working at All on Windows

Received my new XPS 13 9300 a few days ago. Currently using facial recognition to log it but would prefer to use the fingerprint sensor. Unfortunately it simply does not seem to respond.

The Goodix driver is installed (and I've un/reinstalled several times in attempts to fix it). Windows recognizes the fingerprint reader and provides the option to set it up as a sign-in method. But once at the Windows Hello setup dialog requesting that I "repeatedly lift and rest [my] finger on the sensor until setup is complete", nothing happens when I touch the sensor. I've had a 9360 and a 9370 before this, so I'm quite familiar with how this procedure is *supposed* to work.

Is the sensor malfunctioning and I need to RMA, or is there some other fix for the problem? Thank you.

59 Posts

May 15th, 2020 17:00

It's well documented here that the 9300 and 7390 have very faulty and finicky fingerprint sensors that work approximately 50% of the time.  I have the exact same problems, and have followed all troubleshooting steps. The only thing you can do is pray for better drivers, which is a rarity. I've been screaming for this and audio driver fix for more than a month, yet nothing. 

May 15th, 2020 19:00

@mux8 By "audio driver fix" do you mean the bug that completely cuts sound to the laptop speaker once headphones have been inserted? Because I've noticed that one, too.

Cuts pretty deep. My last two XPS models were off the shelf at Microcenter; mid-spec machines that did the job but always felt like they were just a single step away from perfection. They'd even dispelled a lifelong apprehension I'd had about Dell machines in general. Now I spend over two grand on a top-tier model just to find it fraught with issues that should have been ironed out well before launch?

Really hope a driver fix does the trick. I'd hate to get a replacement after I've finally finished clearing out all the bloatware.

59 Posts

May 15th, 2020 21:00

I had that problem before but managed to fix it by "resetting" my computer to the default state, losing all my software. My current Audio problems are the waves EQ fail to apply at all and as a result I can't use any software like APO for equalization which is a real huge issue. 

Yeah, Dell is really terrible at providing reliable and prompt driver updates unfortunately. It was my first Dell computer, not experience I was hoping for 1.5k machine...

3 Posts

February 17th, 2021 00:00

I  have a new XPS 9300, and the fingerprint sensor just stopped working as well.  I stepped thru the process of downloaded the Goodix fingerprint sensor driver and when trying to reload the drivers an error message stated no device was found. 

Dell Customer support stepped thru the process of resetting the BIOS by accessing UEIF (BIOS) Setup from Windows on Dell by tapping the F2 key at startup when the Dell logo appears. Process corrected the problem.  

I hope this helps.  

3 Posts

February 17th, 2021 12:00

I met the same problem yesterday, I tried to reset the bios to default but it did not solve the problem permanently. I am wondering if you remember what to do after tapping the F2 key? thx

No Events found!